Platte Rocque

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses


Platte Rocque


PlatteRocque.jpg



Index of all house profiles

If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

W20PlatteRocque.jpg

Property name

Platte Rocque

Location

Grande Route des Sablons, Grouville

Type of property

Valuations

No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

Datestones

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Standing on the coast at La Rocque adjacent to the landing point for the French forces which invaded Jersey in 1781 prior to the Battle of Jersey, the history of the house itself is somewhat uncertain. The majority of the structure may be no older than early 20th century. It was listed as a Site of Special Interest in 2008

La Platte Rocque is of special architectural, historical and archaeological interest as the site contains an important late Victorian Gothic house and defensive military works dating from the 18th century to the second world war, which are illustrative of the history of fortifications in Jersey and the development of defensive theory and design in the context of a changing military environment. Snowdon Robin purchased the site over a number of separate transactions between 1885, when an earlier house was purchased, to 1903, when the tower became part of the site. In the late 1890s, Robin constructed the present house in the Victorian Gothic style that was considered as the fashionable ideal for rural country houses during that period. The house has a very strong architectural design and displays elements characteristic of Victorian Gothic buildings - including an asymmetrical layout, a large porch, octagonal turrets at its southern corners, a deep sloping tiled roof with tall brickwork chimneys, numerous gables - some hung with fish-scale tiles, mullioned and transomed windows on the ground floor, and oriel windows. The strong architectural design continues to the interior of the house which retains much of its authentic fabric and Gothic features including a substantial staircase with turned balusters, wood panelled doors and architraves, an inglenook fireplace, dado panelling on the walls, and ceilings with ornamental coffering. Both the house and tower are prominent landmarks of great scenic value. There are late 20th century structures in the grounds of the house and tower, including faux fort walls.

Notes and references


Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs