Potier family page
Lizzie and Hannah Potier
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a French occupational surname meaning 'potter'.
Augustin Potier and Marie Miles had a son Jean baptised in St Helier in 1787, but this line was not extended and it was not until the 1840s that a family became established.
Great War service
All these Potiers are in Descendants of Pierre Potier
- Herbert Winter Potier (1897-1918) son of John Alexander Potier and Esther Elizabeth, Private, Dorset Regiment, killed in action
- Samuel Potier (1887- ) (St B) Son of John Alexander and Esther Elizabeth, Sapper, Canadian Royal Engineers
- Alfred John Potier (1892- ) (St B) son of Alfred John and Henrietta Susan, nee Ollivier, 2nd Lieutenant RAF, served as Potter, later emigrated to Canada
- Reginald Francis Potier (1898-1963) (St B) son of Alfred John and Henrietta Susan, ex-RMIJ, Gunner, RFA
- Philip John Potier (1886- ) (St S) son of Francis Charles and Sophia , Gunner, Royal Horse Artillery, wounded twice
- William Charles Edward Potier (1884- ) (St S) son of Francis Charles and Sophia , ex-RMIJ, Sapper RE
These wills created by members of the Potier family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Francis Potier, Bagot, St Saviour - 17 April 1936, D/Y/A/98
- Pierre Potier, Mill Farm, Vingtaine des Augres, Trinity - 5 September 1918, D/Y/A/78
- Hannah Potier, St Aubin, St Brelade, widow of George Ollivier - 13 August 1941, D/Y/A/108
- Louis Potier, St Peter - 12 January 1924, D/Y/A/84
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
Great War casualty Private Herbert Winter Potier's grave at Bouchoir New British Cemetery, near Amiens