Prouings family page
Thomas Prouings married Marie Jean in St Ouen in 1807
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
We have not found records for Prouings outside of Jersey, but it is almost certainly a variant of Prouin, a French name found predominantly in Upper Normandy and the centre of the country. That is a variant of Prou which is derived from the adjective preux, meaning 'valiant', 'wise' or 'good' and itself derived from the Latin prode, meaning 'useful.
This is predominantly a St Ouen family, and the first baptism, that of Drouet, son of Jean, appeared in the parish register in 1635. The date might suggest that Jean was a Huguenot refugee.
- Prouings, 1668
- Prouins 1607
- Prouis 1528
- Prouin, found in Normandy
These wills created by members of the Prouings family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Abraham Prouing of St Mary, bequeaths to the poor of St Mary, £20 tournois of the order of the King 23 November 1785 - D/Y/A/13
- Ann Prouings, St Ouen, now of St Peter, widow of Mr Vautier - 19 February 1895, D/Y/A/54
- Emma Prouings wife of Jean Nicolle son of Jean of China Quarries Farm, St Lawrence - 8 November 1939, D/Y/A/105
- John Prouings of St Ouen - 23 December 1892, D/Y/A/51
- John Prouings, St Ouen - 5 February 1908, D/Y/A/67
- Marie Prouings of St Ouen, bequeaths to the poor of St Ouen £1 - 19 July 1864, D/Y/A/32
- Marie Prouings of St Ouen, bequeaths to the poor of St Ouen £1 - 1 August 1896, D/Y/A/55
- Rachel Prouings of St Ouen, bequeaths to the poor of St Ouen, 1s - 31 October 1863, D/Y/A/31
- Rosa Prouings, Thornfield, Beaumont, St Lawrence - 28 July 1943, D/Y/A/111
- Sophie Prouings, wife of Philippe John De La Perrelle, St Peter - 1 March 1907, D/Y/A/66
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs