Quenault family page
John George Quenault (1882-1948) s of John Philip and Jane Elizabeth Esnouf, m Marie Francoise Duquellenec
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Quen or quien was early French for a dog, so quenault (puppy) may have been used to describe a frolicsome boy. Perhaps it is more likely that the name is derived from quesne, an early form of chene or oak, and described the vegetation where the first Quenault lived.
It is a fairly common name in Normandy.
The earliest baptism records are in St Saviour, starting from 1542. The following earlier individuals have been found in other records:
- Thomas Quenault was born in Trinity in 1501 and married Jeannette Binet there in about 1526. He died in 1579
- Inocent Quenault was born in St Saviour in 1540 and married Perronnelle Vivian on 28 September 1565
- Jean Quenault was born in St Martin in about 1583 and married Jeanne Pallot there in 1608.
- Jacqueline Quenault was born in St Andrew's, Guernsey in 1545 and married Jean Effart there in March 1565
- John Quenault was born in Saint Martin, Guernsey in 1584
- Quenault, 1528
- Quesnault 1607
These two trees follow the same line, the second taking George's ancestors back several generations
- Descendants of Philippe Quenault, 1528: The main Quenault descendancy Substantially enlarged in 2019
- Descendants of George Quenault
- Descendants of Philip Quenault
- Descendants of Philippe Quenault
- Descendants of Auguste Quenault Added 2019
- Descendants of Pierre Quenault Added 2019
Great War service
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Hedley Charles Quenault at Bailleul Communal Cemetery