Raffray family page
John Francis Raffray was born in Grouville in 1889, the son of Durell Raffray (1843-1937) and Jane, nee Le Breton (1844- )
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Mainly found in the Cotes d'Armor department of north Brittany as Raffray and the Ile-et-Vilaine department as Reffary this is a name with Germanic origins: Radfrid or Raginfrid (rad , ragin = ‘advice’ + frid = ‘peace’)
This surname made its first appearance in Jersey records in the 1840s.
Great War service
All these Raffrays, three brothers and a nephew, are in Descendants of Jean Raffray
- Herbert Leonard Raffray (1883-1917) (Gr) son of Durell Philip and Jane, nee Le Breton, First Engineer, Mercantile Marine, ss Echunga, lost at sea
- Cyril Allen Rafffray (1898- ) (Gr) son of Durell and Elina Eliza Nicolle, Sapper RE
- John Francis Raffray (1888-1940) son of Durell Philip and Jane Mary Le Breton, Second engineer, Mercantile Marine, ss PSyche
- Winter Andrew Raffray (1880- ) (Gr) son of Durell Philip and Jane Mary Le Breton, Private RJGB
These wills created by members of the Raffray family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Ann Raffray of Rosemount, St Helier - 3 April 1928, D/Y/A/88
- Herbert Raffray, 24 Commercial Buildings, St Helier - 10 October 1917, D/Y/A/77
- Ernest Raffray, 6½ Commercial Buildings, St Helier - 1 November 1940, D/Y/A/107