Randall family page
This family came to Jersey from Yeovil, Somerset, in the early 19th century
Robert Henry Randall was born in St Helier in 1835, the son of Robert (1810- ) and Eleanor, nee Tinckham (1813- )
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is mainly an English surname, although occasionally found in Scotland. It comes from the Middle English given name Randel, a diminutive of the personal name Rande, (from the Germanic word for shield) to which was added the Norman French diminutive suffix "-el"; meaning little, or probably 'son of Rande'.
A second possible source is a form of the old English personal names Randwulf or Randulf, from the Viking name Rondulfr, and derived from the elements meaning shield and wolf.
The name first appears in Jersey church records in 1809, and the earliest family to settle is believed to have come from Dorset, via Somerset.
- Rendall, treated as a separate family
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Randall family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Randall, 40 Bath Street, St Helier - 11 June 1919, D/Y/A/79
- Elizabeth Randall, The Peirson Inn, St Helier 7 November 1910 - 10 February 1927, D/Y/A/87
- Elizabeth Randall, wife of Ernest Le Lacheur, St Aubins Road, St Helier - 12 March 1934, D/Y/A/96
- Henry Randall, Clare House, Clare Street, St Helier - 4 January 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Joseph Randall of Clyre Cottage, Havre des Pas, St Helier - 13 June 1864, D/Y/A/32
- Joseph Randall, Clydestill, Havre des Pas, St Helier, secretary of Abraham de Gruchy and Co Ltd, bequeaths the properties Clydestill and 14 Vauxhall Street, St Helier to his heirs - 13 December 1922, D/Y/A/82
- Robert Randall of Clare House, Clare Street, St Helier, bequeaths to the Ragged School, Cannon Street £25, to Robert Henry Randall the portrait of the testator by Ouless - 5 November 1898, D/Y/A/57
- Thomas Randal of Brintwood, Essex, now of Jersey 16 August 1796 - D/Y/A/15
- William Randall, Clare House, Clare Street, St Helier - 26 February 1912, D/Y/A/71
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Mervyn Gregory Randall at Marfaux British Cemetery, near Epernay