Rault family page
Nellie Rault, murdered in England after the Great War
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This is a name found frequently in Brittany and may be a variant of the personal name 'Raoul', or of Germanic origin derived from 'rad' (advice) and 'wald' (who governs). Alternatively it could come from the Germanic 'Radwulf', translating as 'wise wolf'.
The name, which is still found in Jersey today, did not make its first appearance until the late 19th century, when it is found in baptism records in St Saviour, St John, St Lawrence and St Helier, suggesting that either several members of the same family moved to the island at the same time, or the family rapidly spread between the parishes.
By the time of the 1891 census there were 75 Raults living in Jersey and, as can be seen from extracts from census records below, there were a number of different households spread throughout the island. The men were largely agricultural workers or farmers in their own right, although several were employed as servants. The total number of Raults had only grown to 79 by 1911.
The family/families almost certainly originated in Brittany and the little town of Erquy between St Malo and St Brieuc is one likely place where they originated.
It is noticeable that many of the children listed in the census returns as born in St Helier, Jersey, were not baptised in the parish.
We have been sent an outline family tree which we have attempted to expand using census returns and baptism records, but we have not been able to add very much detail. The tree is apparently confirmed by several versions on Ancestry and French genealogy sites, but close inspection suggests that they have all been copied from each other or one original source.
Because the details of the various Rault families and the rapid growth in numbers from 1861 to 1891 show the typical arrival in Jersey and establishment of a largely agricultural family from neighbouring Brittany in the second half of the 19th century, we have provided considerably more census information than is common for our other family pages. A study of the actual census records will yield information on even more Raults in 1881 and 1891.
The known variant Raux is found earlier in Jersey records and comes from Normandy, rather than Brittany. There is a Champs Raux in Trinity which may be of even earlier origin than the 1770s church records for Raux baptisms in neighbouring St John.
1861 Jersey census
- Jean Guillaume Rault (1832- ) Brittany
- Marie Francoise Rault (1831- ) Brittany
- Guillaume Rault (1860- ) St Helier
Four more Raults, Jean (1825- ), servant; Jacques (1798- ), lodger; Francis (1801- ), head of household; and Jacques (1841- ), Servant; all born in France, appear in separate households in the 1861 census.
1871 Jersey census
- Pierre Rault (1829- ), agricultural labourer, shown in later census to have been born in St Brieuc
- Mary Rault (1837- ), washerwoman
- Pierre Rault (1868- )
- Mary Rault (1869- )
- Blanche Rault (1870- )
This family appears again in the 1881 census with the addition of Angelina (1878- )
Seven more Raults appear in this census in separate households as servants.
1881 Jersey census
- Felix Rault (1849- ), farmer of 8 acres
- Ellen Rault (1852- ), farmer's wife
- Emma Rault
- Ellen Rault
Note: The St John baptism register records the baptisms of Helene Marie, daughter of Felix and Marie Helene Baudains in 1878, and twins John Felix and Clara Louisa, son and daughter of John Felix and Ellen Bosdet in 1880.
- Louis and Jeanne and their children (see tree below) are recorded as farming La Bruyere Farm, Carrefour Selous.
- Jacques Rault (1839- ), blacksmith living at Trinity Manor
- Catherine Rault (1839- ), agricultural labourer
- James Rault (1869- ), apprentice blacksmith
- John Rault (1871- )
- Eugene Rault (1874- )
- Adolphus Rault (1876- )
- Albert Rault (1879- )
- Pierre Rault (1845- ), farmer of 12 vergees at Marett's Farm, Rue du Nord
- Philomene Rault (1849- )
- Marie Louise Rault (1878- )
- Pierre Rault (1881- )
1891 Jersey census
- Mathurin Rault (1858- ), agricultural labourer
- Rosalie Rault (1858- )
- Ernestine Rault (1881- )
- Clara Jane Rault (1884- )
- John Mathurin Rault (1886- )
- Alfred Francis Rault (1889- )
- Felix Rault (1847- )
- Jane Rault (1849- )
- Louisa Rault (1877- )
- Helen Rault (1880- )
- Alice Rault (1884- )
- Francois Rault (1866- ), born St Saviour
- Marie Rault (1870- )
- Marie Rault (1889- )
- Julian Rault (1855- )
- Eulalie Rault (1862- )
- Marie Rault (1878- )
- Adele Rault (1879- )
- Melanie Rault (1891- )
- Victor Rault (1848- )
- Marie Rault (1842- )
- Marie Rault (1879- )
- Eliza Rault (1882- )
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Rault family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jacques Rault, 44 Dorset Street, St Helier - 11 August 1924, D/Y/A/84
- Jacques Rault, St Ouen - 12 November 1924, D/Y/A/84
- Louis Rault, Carrefour au Clerc, Grouville - 11 February 1922, D/Y/A/82
- Marie Rault, Gorey Village, Grouville, widow of Pierre Marie Mehaute - 24 January 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Mathurin Rault of Hennon, Côtes du Nord, France, now of St Lawrence - 2 July 1892, D/Y/A/51
- May Rault - 23 January 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Pierre Rault of St Martin - 7 December 1901, D/Y/A/60
- Pierre Rault, St Saviour - 17 January 1927, D/Y/A/87
- Yves Rault, Trinity - 18 November 1938, D/Y/A/103
- The story of Nellie Rault, murdered in England during the Great War
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs