Ricou family page
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Although we have not found a derivation for Ricou, it is undoubtedly a variant of Ricoud or Ricoux, which despite their similarity, have different origins. Ricoud is a variant of Ricaud, which is derived from the Germanic Ricwald, meaning for strong ruler. Ricoux is said to come from Ricwulf, meaning strong wolf.
The name first appears in Jersey records in the 1840s. The family came to Jersey from Angers.
- Descendants of Jean Ricou
- Descendants of Jean Ricou - 2: same line as above but more detail from a difference source Added 2018
Great War service
- Raymond Robert Ricou (1895-1915) son of Edward Ricou and Harriet Elizabeth, nee Squibb, Ordinary Seaman RN, HMS Albion, died of fever on board ship in Mediterranean, buried in Greece
- Albert Alfred Ricou (1899-1970) (St B) son of Albert and Marie Ropert, ex-RMIJ, Driver RFA
- Paul Amy Ricou (1893- ) (St C) son of Albert and Alice Gallois, Gunner RFA
- Reginald Thomas Ricou (1880- ) (St S), son of Thomas and Elizabeth, served with Canadian Army
- Roland Sylvester Wimpey Ricou (1891- ) (St S) son of Thomas and Elizabeth, Private, Dorset Regiment
- Sidney George Squibb Ricou (1888- ) (St H), son of Edward and Harriet, Bombardier RFA
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs