If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Route des Issues, St John
Type of property
18th century farm with earlier origins
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Couteur: A Le Couteur on 1849 Godfray map. In 1901 farmer John George Le Couteur (1854- ) and his second wife Elizabeth, nee Coutanche (1863- )  were living here with children Albert (1879- ), Ada Jane (1888- ), Walter (1892- ), Florence (1896- ), Elsie Maud (1898- ) and Raymond John (1899- )
- Genee: In 1941 Peter Francis Genee (1889- ) was living here with his son Cyril Peter (1921- ) and daughter-in-law Beryl May, née Perree (1923- )
Historic Environment Record entry
18th century farm group, with earlier origins circa 17th century, retaining original features and character.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Main farmhouse: two-storey, five-bay. Pitched slate roof, rendered chimneys on gables.
Unusual arrangement of granite work on south elevation with ashlar stones around and between the windows, with rustic quoins and random granite on each corner of the house.
In front of the main door are rare, square stone chamfered porch pillars of 17th century style (relocated – perhaps from earlier adjacent house).
The earlier house displays Jersey’s vernacular tradition in the use of local materials and details; the later house altered to emulate the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character.
Old Jersey Houses
This farm provides an example of vaulted pigsties. They are in three sections in a row, which is the most common pattern, but they have a pitched roof covered in rough cement. Attached to the end of the row is a privy, with matching roof and the same interior ceiling, cunningly constructed in beehive manner.
Notes and references
- ↑ His first wife was Mary Coutanche (1854-1888), probably, although we have not been able to confirm it, the elder sister of Elizabeth