Roussel family page
This is mainly a Guernsey rather than Jersey family
Anne Roussel married Jean Le Dain in St Helier in 1774
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
From the given name Rousel, a diminutive of the Old French roux - red, for someone with red hair or a ruddy (red) complexion.
This is essentially a Guernsey family and the tree below shows the main descendancies in the island, as well as the small number of Roussels who moved to Jersey.
Guernsey family trees
These wills created by members of the Roussel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Florence Roussel of St Helier 30 January 1767 - D/Y/A/11
- Michel Roussel of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £32 of the order of the King 8 October 1832 - D/Y/A/22
- Frederick Roussel, bequeaths to the poor of his parish, £5 of French currency 17 June 1830 - D/Y/A/21
- Jean Roussel, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £1 sterling 9 November 1812 - D/Y/A/18
- Reine Roussel, Highlands, Coin Motier, St Lawrence - 28 July 1934, D/Y/A/96
- Peter Roussel, West View Cottage, St Martin - 18 August 1922, D/Y/A/82
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs