Sarre family page
The origins of this family and the derivation ofthe name are far from certain
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This family is said in Jersey to have originated from the Pays du Saire, east of Cherbourg. However, if this were so, it would be expected to be a common name in Normandy, and particularly in the Manche department which includes Cherbourg. However, there is only one Sarre listed in today's telephone directory for Manche, and the name is far from common elsewhere in Normandy.
It is possible that the family name could simply be derived from the Hebrew female given name Sarah.
Our main source for the origins of French surnames suggests that Sarre is a form of 'Serre', which is derived from serra, meaning a watershed or peak (this word is also found as sierra).
The Extente of 1274 for Jersey mentions Hugh Sare and his son Guillaume.
- Sarre, 1299
- Sarrey 1400
- Sehir 1309
- Le Seire 1299
- Sarne 1292
- Sare 1274
The following two groups of trees are largely identical but come from different sources and vary in some details
- Descendants of Thomas Sarre and Elizabeth Malzard
- Descendants of Thomas Sarre and Rachel Marie Hamon
- Descendants of Thomas Sarre and Katherine
- Descendants of John Sarre and Collette Estur
- Descendants of Jean Sarre and Anne Le Dain
- Descendants of Thomas Sarre and Elizabeth Malzard - 2
- Descendants of Thomas Sarre and Rachel Hamon
- The Sarres of Trinity
- Descendants of Jean Sarre of Mourier, St John
- Descendants of Jean Sarre (1743)
Great War service
- Peter Durell Sarre (1883- ) (St H) son of Peter and Louisa Rachel Le Vavasseur Dit Durell, Mercantile Marine
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs