Simmons family page
Major George Simmons
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The name means 'son of Simon'. Simon, from the personal name, has two derivations - the biblical Simeon, meaning 'hearken', and the Greek Simon meaning 'snub-nosed'.
Jersey baptism records, with a variety of spellings, date back to the mid-18th century.
George Le Breton Simmons, born in Jersey in July 1841, died at sea on passage home from Bombay in 1869.
Great War service
- Albert Harold Simmonds (1889- ) (Gr) son of Edward and Elizabeth, Air Mechanic, RAF
- Dennis Simmonds (St B), Sergeant, Labour Corps
- Edward Francis Simmonds (1886- ) (Gr) son of Edward Joseph and Elizabeth, Driver RFA
- Stanley Ernest Simmons (1884- ) (St H) son of Arthur and Elizabeth Jane Mary Blampied, Private, RAF
- William George Simmons (1885- ) (St H) son of Albert and Bridget, Private, RASC
- William Gore Simmons (1881- ) (St H) son of George and Alice Gore, Gunner, RGA
- William Henry Simmons (1882- ) (St H) son of Arthur and Elizabeth Jane Mary Blampied, Private, Wiltshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Simmons family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Anne Simmons of St Helier, widow - 17 September 1880, D/Y/A/41
- George Simmons of St Helier, late Major 13 March 1858 - D/Y/A/29
- George Simmons, 13 Columbus Street, St Helier - 21 February 1945, D/Y/A/113
- James Simmons of Portsea, Co Southampton, Boatswain of HM Dock Yard near Portsmouth, desires to be buried in the Churchyard in Portsea 5 February 1822 - D/Y/A/19
- John Simmons, mariner of St George in the East, co Middlesex Includes a copy of probate from the Archbishop of Canterbury 6 June 1739 - D/Y/A/7
- Rosa Simmons née Perrier, 1 Norfolk Terrace, Rouge Bouillon, St Helier - 10 May 1939, D/Y/A/104