Sinclair family page
Ann Sinclair married William Holditch in St Brelade in 1795
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Although largely an English name, it is also found in the north of France with the same spelling. It is a corruption of Saint Clair and a locational name from any of 12 communes and some 50 hamlets of the name in France. In England and Jersey the original Sinclairs are likely to have come from the communes of Saint-Clair-l’Eveque in Calvados or Saint-Clair-sur-l’Elle in Manche
The first Sinclair record in Jersey church records is the marriage of Peter to Sarah Holman at St Saviour in 1802.
Great War service
- George Philip Sinclair (1880- ) (St H) Private RJGB
- Walter Herbert Sinclair (1891- ) (St H) Private, Hampshire Regiment
- William Edward Sinclair (1888- ) (St H) ex-RMIJ, Gunner RGA
These wills created by members of the Sinclair family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Mary Sinclair Gale née Leslie, 5 Broad Street, St Helier, bequeaths to Albert John Gale for life 5 Broad Street, St Helier, reversion to her seven children in equal shares - 17 February 1939, D/Y/A/104
- Ellen Sinclair née Johnson, Keechang, Route Orange, St Brelade - 7 October 1942, D/Y/A/110
- Peter Sinclair of St Helier, desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 10s 14 September 1857 - D/Y/A/29
- James Sinclair, retired Lieut-Colonel of the Royal Artillery 17 June 1851 - D/Y/A/27
- Francis Sinclair, The Hotel Victoria, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, - 28 February 1917, D/Y/A/76