Sohier family page
Charles Sohier married Rachel Poingdestre in St Martin in 1745
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Sohier was a personal name very common in old French romances.
It is a common family name in Normandy, more frequently spelt Soyer. In medieval times the given name was often spelt Soier and Sehier. It may come from the Germanic Sighari, which means victory (sig-) and army (-hari).
Robinet Sohier is recorded at Bayeux in 1376
Sohier baptisms are found as far back as 1599, but the following individuals are known to predate that year:
- Nicholas Sohier was born in Jersey in 1545 and married a daughter of Ambroise Le Breton and Genette Bisson
- Catherine Sohier was born in St Saviour in 1567 and married Jean Anthoine
- Marie Sohier was born in St Helier in about 1565 and died there in 1633. She married Uric Messervy in 1588 and they had a son Nicolas, born in 1600
- Elizabeth Sohier was born in Jersey in about 1589 and married Pierre Gaudin in 1607
The Soyer family is known in Guernsey
- Sohier, 1607
- Descendants of Sohier Le Roux
- Descendants of Thomas Sohier
- Descendants of Estienne Sohier
- Descendants of Pierre Sohier
- Descendants of Pierre Sohier - 2
- Descendants of Jean Sohier and Rachel Filleul
Three versions of the same tree, which has a number of unresolved issues
- Descendants of Philippe Sohier
- Descendants of Philippe Sohier - 2
- Descendants of Philippe Sohier - 3
Great War service
- Mont Sohier, St Brelade, Jersey
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs