St Sampsons, Guernsey

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
St Sampson Crest

Introduction

St Sampson’s, the second town in Guernsey, is situated north of St Peter Port, and is almost connected with it by houses and rows of buildings along the shore. It is much smaller than St Peter Port, being little more than one-fifth the population; is bounded on the north and west by the Vale parish; on the south by St Peter Port, and on the east by the sea; and contains an area 3,569 vergées of land and a population of 2,986 inhabitants, census of 1871. It is a place of considerable business in connection with the stone trade, which is centered there, to take advantage of the adjacent quarries and of the harbour. Many improvements have been made in the harbour, and the town is continually increasing its importance; there is little to attract or interest a stranger, all the buildings except the church being of modern construction. The lands of this parish were in the hands of the Duke of Normandy till William the Conqueror rewarded Sampson d’Anneville with about one-fourth of the island, among which was a part of this parish, then erected into the fief or royalty still called the fief d’Anneville. Hill’s Historical Directory of the Channel Islands (1874)

Churches

Church of England

Methodist

  • Les Capelles Methodist Church, La Route des Capelles

Roman Catholic

  • Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church, Rue des Monts, Delancey Hill

Schools

  • St Sampsons Secondary School
  • St Sampsons Infants School
  • Haute Capelles Primary School, Les Capelles
  • St Mary and St Michael RC Primary School, Rue des Monts

Government

  • States of Guernsey Prison Service, Les Nicolles

Leisure and entertainment

  • Corbet Memorial Field
  • Oatlands Craft Centre
  • Delancey Park
Aerial view of St Sampsons Harbour, approx 1930s

Commercial

  • St Sampsons Harbour, The Bridge
  • Les Vardes Quarry

Subdivisions

  • L'Islet
  • The Bridge
  • Baubigny
  • Capelles
  • Camp du Roi
  • Les Vardes
  • Rousse
  • La Passee

Ancient Monuments

Old Family Houses

  • La Ronde Cheminée

Fiefs

  • Fief d'Anneville
  • Fief de Fauville
  • Fief de Henri de Vaugrat
  • Fief de la Croûte Bouilleuse
  • Fief de la Fantôme
  • Fief de Pierre Philippe
  • Fief des Bruniaux
  • Fief des Philippes
  • Fief Le Roi
  • Franc Fief au Gallicien
  • Franc Fief de la Rosière

Coastline

  • Grand Havre, L’Islet
  • Baie de Port Grat
  • Baie de Pulias
  • Baie des Pecqueries
  • St Sampsons Harbour
  • Mont Crevelt
  • Richmond Corner
  • Halfway
  • Belle Greve Bay
  • Les Banques

See also

References

  • Davies, Dorothy, St Sampson the Missionary, Facts and Legends, RGS, 1961
  • Coysh, Victor, Delancey, past and present, RGS, 1992
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs