Syvret family page
Charles Philip Syvret (1877-1931) and Mary Ann Syvret, nee Atkins (1878-1946). The couple emigrated to Ontario and had a son Edward and daughter Kathleen Florence
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Syvret, according to the Rev George Balleine's Derivation of Jersey Surnames is either a French form of Selfrid (Two Selfrids, Bishops of Chichester, are called Sifroi by the Norman Chroniclers) or of the Latin Severiacus.
It is also suggested that the surname is a development from the pre-7th century English personal name 'Sigeraed', meaning "Victory counsel". The name is one of the earliest on record and is found in the Domesday Book of 1086, although the recordings as Siret and Sired are baptismal. We have doubts that the name arrived in Jersey from England and support the view that it has French origins.
The coat of arms, granted in Jersey, has the blazon of a black field, charged with a silver lion rampant.
- Sivroy - found in some Jersey records
- Sivrait - found in some Jersey records
Possible variants, but we have doubts
- Descendants of Jacques Syvret
- Descendants of Philippe Syvret
- Descendants of Pierre Syvret
- Descendants of Michel Syvret
- Descendants of Daniel Syvret
- Descendants of Jacques Syvret - 2
- Descendants of Jean Syvret
- Descendants of George Syvret, correcting above tree and adding extra early generations and an extra descendancy NEW
- Descendants of Simeon Syvret
Biographies and family histories
- Privateer Jean Syvret
- Thomas Sivret, Rector and politician
- A terrible drowning tragedy at Greve de Lecq, how George Syvret and three friends lost their lives in 1890
Great War service
Emigrant to Canada
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Laura Dumaresq Syvret (38), of St Ouen, wife of Alfred John Romeril, appeared before the Royal Court in 1916 charged with robbery. Her photograph which was previously shown here has been removed at the insistence of Jersey Archive
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs