Thatcher family page
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
As might be expected, this surname is derived from the profession of roof thatcher.
The family can be traced back in Jersey to mason Charles Thatcher, of Bridport, Dorset, who came to Jersey shortly before the 1841 census. He returned to Dorset in 1843 to marry Sarah Gillard and then they settled in Jersey and brought up a family of eight children. John's family can be traced back to John Thetcher, born in about 1718 in Devon. He married Hannah Cross in September 1743 in Exeter, six months after the birth of their son, also John.
Great War service
- Charles John Thatcher, DSC, MSM (1883-) (St H) son of John Charles and Jane Ann Laurens, RSM Royal Marine Light Infantry, wounded
- James George Alexander Thatcher (St H) ex-RMIJ, Lieutenant, Montreal Regiment
- Reuben Laurens Thatcher (1887- ) (St H) son of John Charles and Jane Ann Laurens, ex-RMIJ, Private, Royal Defence Corps
These wills created by members of the Thatcher family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Thatcher, Pontac - 19 March 1929, D/Y/A/89
- Emily Thatcher née Smith, 1 Hampton Place The Parade, St Helier, widow - 18 December 1940, D/Y/A/107
- John Thatcher, St Helier - 14 January 1922, D/Y/A/82