If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ferme de la Chapelle
- The Garth Farm
Rue des Fontaines, St Peter
Type of property
Historic farm group
- The Garth sold for £1,085,000 in 2003 and £625,000 in 2007. In between, and after, these dates there are a number of transactions for apartments and the property appears to have been divided into five different units
- The Garth Barn sold for £870,000 in 2010 and £765,000 in 2016
Families associated with the property
- Barette: In 1941 John Edward Barette (1877- ) was living here with his wife Mary Jane, née Luce (1878- ) and their daughter Mavis Mary (1921- )
17 AGB KBL 33 - For Amice Gabourel and Katherine Ballaine
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group of early origins, the group of buildings illustrates different historic phases of Jersey architecture.
The presence of the chapel building adds significance to the site.
The buildings each retain historic features of note. A 19th century house called The Garth (two-storey, with attic, five-bay) sits to the east of the 15th century Garth Farm, separated by a narrow gap.
Garth Farm (two-storey, three-bay, with two-storey, three-bay wing to north west) has converted outbuildings adjoining further to the north and, connected by a throughway, an L-shaped two-storey range of converted outbuildings to the west.
On the northwest corner of the site is a detached chapel building.
Old Jersey Houses
This St Peter property was formerly known as Ferme de la Chapelle, and it is said that there was a chapel here. This is confirmed not only by the name but also by the presence of a symbol for a church building on the 1795 Richmond map. But, as Joan Stevens notes in Old Jersey Houses, there is no record of a chapel in this area.
She wrote that the building is 'very small indeed' - only 14ft 6in by 11ft externally, with a small, round arch at the east end. It is built of Mont Mado granite with St Mary granite for the gable edge stones.
- "The stones of the wall show weathering and great age. The arch is not quite symmetrical under the gable, but as the two side walls are uneven in height, considerable alteration may have taken place at various times. It is also possible that the arch has been inserted from elsewhere, for it is very curious indeed to have a chapel sited east-west, but with the door at the east end. This is not impossible, and one authority states:'Many of the primitive Christian churches had their altar at the west and their entrance at the east'. If this is the case here it makes it a very old chapel, indeed. It is just possible that it was the Priory of St Peter, but this is generally thought to have been situated near the parish church.
Notes and references