A Pipon family history
The Pipon family, which has given our island a great number of Jurats and Lieut-Bailiffs is one of those which has not been given a place proportional to their importance in Payne's Armorial of Jersey.
Only the La Moye branch is covered, and that in an entirely incomplete manner. We propose to study here the St Peter branch, the origin of the whole family, and the branches from it of Noirmont and St Mary.
From 1309 the Pipons were represented in Jersey by Richard, Pierre and Robert, all three from the Parish of St Peter. In 1331 Pierre Pipon and Richard Le Cauf were co-owners of three bouvées - 60 vergees - of land in St Peter, for which they paid the King an annual fee of 24 sols.
- [Editor's note: it is amusing to see that redevance, the word chosen by the writer for an annual fee, now has a more specific meaning in France - it is the annual television licence fee.]
In 1412 Guillaume Pipon, of St Peter, owed with several others to Denys Ryther and his wife Collette Brasdefer, rentes arising from the succession of Jehanne Brasdefer, daughter of Pierre. In 1460 the same rentes were owed by the heirs of Guillot Pipon, and by those of the people mentioned in the 1412 document.
In 1469 a Nicolas Pipon, on behalf of his wife, owed a rente to the treasury of St Saviour, for Nicolas Morin.
Before we go any further we must rectify a mistake made by de La Croix and repeated in the Armorial. 'In 1467 there was a Jurat by name of Jean Pipon'. This is wrong. De La Croix confused the collation made in 1649 of a contract of 1476 - not 1467 - with the contract itself. The copy collated in 1649 was signed by Jean Pipon, one of the Jurats of this era.
In 1503 Nicolas Pipon, son of Philippe, leased to Giret Maugier a house and buildings on the Cueillette de St Nicolas including 25 vergees of land for the price of 3 gold ecus ground rent. The same year a Nicolas Pipon (probably not the same), Guillaume Le Robelin dit Remon and Johan Horman, all three of the Cueillette de St Anastase, St Peter, transacted with Guillaume Trachy, tenant of Moulin de Gigoulande, St Mary, and Thomas Gobes, tenant of Gargate, St Peter, for the resséantise of the two mills. [This is an old French term, no longer in use, which we believe in this context means 'occupancy' - Ed]
This second Nicolas Pipon, who we believe descended from Guillaume Pipon of 1412, seems likely to be the ancestor of the different lines of which we shall speak. He is mentioned elsewhere in an Acte d'Heritage which we believe sufficiently interesting to quote in full.
- [Editor's note: While the writer's knowledge of old French would undoubtedly have been sufficient to translate this Acte, he chose not to do so, and I was defeated by the old legal terms it contains. Having taken advice from those with a better knowledge of old legal French than mine, the follow translation has been arrived at: 'It is ordered that the whole of the property of Collas Pipon, father of Jehannet, be divided into equal shares and in the same way 20 vergées of land for a Mass at the end of the life (this sounds like a Mass for someone's soul, presumably Collas's, but 20 vergées seems a lot!) and regarding the share falling to Johan Pipon of St Brelade this will be put aside at the discretion of six men so that Nicolas Pipon may enjoy the lease that Johan Pipon gave to him of his part of the inheritance.]
This act is one of the proofs that the Pipons of La Moye, St Brelade, were a junior branch of that of St Peter. We leave the St Peter Pipons here to speak briefly of those of La Moye and St Mary.
Jean Pipon of St Brelade, mentioned in the Act, was Constable of the parish from 1551 to 1553, so he must have attained a sufficiently advanced age. He was father of Thomas and Nicolas Pipon. The latter acquired a house on the fief of Noirmont and was the ancestor of a branch which was established for some time at Noirmont, but should not be confused with that of the Seigneurs of Noirmont, of whom more later on.
- [It was not unusual for sons of prominent families to be elected Constable in their early 20s, so 'sufficiently advanced age' does not necessarily imply 'old' - Ed]
Thomas Pipon, eldest son of Constable Jean Pipon, married one of the daughters of Thomas Dumaresq, of La Haule, and died during the lifetime of his father, leaving several sons: Richard, Jean, Jacques and Francois, the latter being the founder of the St Mary branch.
Richard Pipon, Seigneur in part of the fief Luce de Carteret and Constable for many years, married Philippine Gosselin, daughter of Guillaume. For his descendants we refer to the genealogy of Pipons of La Moye, given in the Armorial, starting with this Richard.
- [We are uncertain what is meant by 'Seigneur in part' in this paragraph - Ed]
St Mary branch
Francois Pipon, Procureur du bien public of St Mary in 1571, married Jouenne (or Jeanne) Le Cauf, eldest daughter and probably principal heir of Pierre. They had a son and three daughters: Simeon, Centenier of St Mary in 1601 and Procureur du bien public, and Jeanne, Marie and Marguerite, who married respectively Nicolas Syvret, Benest Robert and Robert Duprey.
Despite his status in later years, Simeon Pipon fell foul of the Royal Court 28 years before, at a time when even the most innocent public amusements were prohibited. A record of 27 June 1573 shows that Symeon Pipon, Benest Le Gros, Francois Le Gros, Philippe Le Bosquet, Noel Vibert and Pierre Vasse were fined after admitting dancing and 'playing dissolutely'.
Simeon Pipon married Jacquette Le Couteur, daughter of Philippe, of St Mary, and had three sons: Jean, Jacques and Richard, and daughters who married Jean Vibert, Philippe du Heaume, Philippe Le Brocq and Jean Jean. The partage of the estate of Simeon Pipon was registered in Book 4 of the Register of Contracts. In the part of the eldest is found, among others, the land known as the Renonciations, on which was due half a pair of gloves of rente to the fief d'Escraqueville. The second son, Jacques, was in 1616 Chef Sergent of St Mary. His lineage continued for some time.
In 1616 Jean Robert snr, to amend a partage made necessary by a transaction of 1598 between the Roberts and the Pipons on 16 June 1599, transferred to Jean Pipon, son of Simeon, the fief Ganoire (Ganouaire) which remained in the possession of the Pipons of St Mary for nearly two centuries.
Jean Pipon, eldest son of Simeon, was sworn-in as Constable of St Mary on 22 October 1629. In December 1608 he had married, at St John, Elizabeth, daughter of Pierre de Soulemont (Jurat and Lieut-Bailiff). There were two sons of this marriage, Jean and Pierre. Jean, the eldest, Seigneur of Ganoire, became a Centenier in St Mary at the Restoration in 1660 and was elected Constable of the parish on 23 October 1666, holding this post until March 1671.
He had married at St Peter in 1642, Judith Le Maistre, daughter of Jean, of St Peter, and Madeleine Guillaume. He died in 1676, a short time after his wife. Their eldest son, born in 1652, Seigneur of Ganoire, married Jeanne Arthur, daughter of Charles and Catherine Robin, and died in 1726. Among other brothers and sisters of Jean we mention: Nicolas (1655- ), Philippe (1658- ), Sara (1648- ) married in 1675 to Tobie Le Cras, Judith, wife of Jean Journeaux, and Suzanne (1664- ) who married Jean Dupre, son of Nicolas, in 1688.
By his marriage to Jeanne Arthur Jean had a son, Jean, born in 1710, and several daughters, including Marguerite, wife of Jean Le Vesconte; Susanne, wife of Jean Le Ruez; and Judith, wife of Jean Le Veslet, of St Lawrence.
Jean Pipon, Seigneur of Ganoire (1710-1806) married Judith Arthur and was father of Jeaan Pipon (1747- ), Seigneur of Ganoire, Centenier of St Mary in 1776, died without heirs in 1806; Francois (1750- ) and Anne (1743- ).
The principal heir of Jean Pipon in the Pipon line was Nicolas Dorey, son of Nicolas and Jeanne Le Veslet, daughter of Jean and Judith Pipon, daughter of Jean. Marie Le Ruez, daughter of Jean Le Ruez, son of Jean, and Susanne Pipon, daughter of Jean, was co-heiress in the same line. Nicolas Dorey inherited the fief of Ganoire.
St Peter branch
We return now to the senior branch, that of St Peter. In the 16th century three members of the family were in the service of the Church: Sire Guillaume Pipon, snr, priest, died before 1526; Sire Johan Pipon, priest, 1532; and Sire Guillaume Pipon, jnr, priest, 1557. The existence of these three ecclesiastics is revealed not by the registers of the Diocese of Coutances, but be the rolls of the Royal Court. The second Guillaume without doubt bequeathed a house and garden at St Helier to his nephew Nicolas, the minor son of Jean Pipon of St Peter.
A contract of 1621 mentions Pre de Pipon on the fief of Meleches, near the sand dunes which belonged to Pierre de Soulemont. This property was let to a third party during the minority of Nicolas, a process which gave rise to a judgment which was appealed to Queen Elizabeth in about 1572. The documents relating to the action reveal that the Dean, John Paulet, was guardian of Nicolas for some time.
The home of this Pipon branch was in the Cueillette of St Anastase, not far from the school house of this name, and it is claimed that this school was built in 1560 on land acquired from the Pipons.
- [The date given here by Messervy is much later than other historians have suggested, but probably accurate - Ed].
The same Nicolas Pipon, born about 1552, acquired Gargate and Quetivel mills with others, for the price of 20 quarters of wheat rente, from Hugh Nicolle, son of Hostes (Seigneur of Longueville and Bailiff), Hostes having had the right to those mills from the Queen's Commissioners.
Refused to be sworn
Nicolas Pipon, elected Centenier of St Peter in 1599, refused twice, for reasons we do not know, to take the oath. Several Constable's Officers of the same parish having also refused to be sworn in and all were imprisoned for some time. Pipon eventually acceded to the wishes of his fellow parishioners and served as Centenier until his death in 1618. At this time each parish had only one Centenier and the role was quite demanding.
He had two sons, Jean and Pierre, and several daughters. In the absence of a sole partage of his estate, the Registry contains several contracts of transfer of inheritance. For example, in 1619 the heirs of Jean Pipon, son of Nicolas and Marie de Caen, daughter of Jacques, ceded to Pierre Pipon, son of Nicolas and Marie, part of their inheritance, a house at St Peter on the fief du Roi, and close to the school house of St Anastase, the Clos de Goys, to the east, and land on the fiefs Sotel and Luce de Carteret. Only the eldest of Jean Pipon's minor sons could have Gargate Mill.
The same year, Marie Pipon, wife of Raulin Robin and daughter of Nicolas Pipon and Marie de Caen, sold her part of the inheritance to her brother Jean, for six quarters of wheat rente, and on condition that half of Gargate Mill, that belonging to Nicolas, would be left to Jean's eldest son.
Jean Pipon, of St Anastase, eldest son of Nicolas and Marie, owned for some time the chapel and house of St Nicolas, having acquired the part inheritance of Jean Le Grand, through his mother, youngest daughter of Jean Viel. In 1611 he sold Jean Lorens, son of Helier, this house and buildings, adjoining the cottage called Chapelle de St Nicolas, the chapel included, all situated to the north of the property of Michel de la Court, and to the east of the land of Pierre Remon, son of Collas, on the fief du Roi, St Peter. We will speak later of the descendants of this Jean Pipon.
Pierre Pipon, youngest son of Nicolas, became Regent (headmaster) of St Anastase in 1602, and held this position for 62 years. On 30 October 1621 he acquired from Pierre Bisson, son of Thomas, a house where Mr Bisson was living, bounded on the north and west by the house and land of Jean Hamptonne, all on the fief des Nobretez in St Peter, and including more than 30 vergees, for 22 quarters 6 cabots of wheat rente. The cotils of La Commune and an old house situated not far from Raulin Robin's garden, are mentioned in this contract.
On the death of Pierre Pipon in 1664 his second son Nicolas, who had studied at Oxford University, succeeded him as Regent of St Anastase, and in his turn ran this institution for more than half a century, so that over 114 years the school had only two Regents, father and son.
Elie Pipon, son of this Nicolas, married a de Carteret of Vinchelez de Bas. Their eldest son Jean was Constable of St Peter for ten years. On 9 June 1750 Anne de Carteret assigned to her eldest son Jean Pipon the rights she had acquired as guardian of the children of Amice de Carteret on 16 September 1749 on the fief of Leoville, with 6 quarters 5½ cabots of wheat, 53 and a fifth chickens, 30 eggs and a conger as seigneurial rente.
Thomas Pipon, the eldest son of this Jean, after filling various municipal posts at St Peter, because Jurat on 9 October 1800. According to tradition he was the last Jersey 'magistrate' to wear a wig on the bench. He was sworn in as Lieut-Bailiff on 28 January 1815, at the behest of Lord Carteret, Bailiff. We believe that the home of this Thomas Pipon was situated on the Vingtaine du Douet between La Hague Manor and St Peter's Rectory, and that this house was bought by the Le Boutillier family and then passed by marriage to E M Dupre. This house, demolished in the 19th century, was low, long and covered in thatch. A modern house has been erected in its place.
Jean Pipon's descendants
We return now to the descendants of Jean Pipon, elder brother of Pierre, Regent of St Anastase. By his marriage to Susanne Dumaresq, one of the daughters of Jean, Seigneur of Vinchelez de Bas, and Bailiff, he had three sons: Jean, Thomas and Pierre. The eldest, Jean, a zealous partisan of the Royalist cause during the Civil War, had a distinguished political career.
He was sworn in as Constable of St Peter on 14 May 1636, Jurat on 4 April 1644, at a sitting of the States, and Lieut-Bailiff on 20 January 1666. He was then the only Lieut-Bailiff and when the Bailiff, Edouard de Carteret was in Jersey, he often alternated with Jean Pipon as president of the Court. On 15 October 1668 Mr Pipon, through age and ill health, gave his resignation as Lieut-Bailiff and the Court expressed publicly its satisfaction with the manner in which he had acquitted his high offices. He remained a Jurat until his death.
It was he who, it is said, had the house 'Alva' built at St Peter. Because he left no sons, it passed by the marriage of his eldest daughter Suzanne to the Le Maistre family. Among other proof of this, we quote the following extract:
- "Edouard le Maistre, heir of the late Jean Le Maistre, owner of a house and household on the fief du Roi, St Peter, called L'Aleval, of which the grandfather of the said Jean became owner, having married Suzanne Pipon, eldest daughter of Jean, who was Lieut-Bailiff."
- [The writer refers to the property both as Alva and l'Aleval. We believe the latter to be correct - Ed.]
This Le Maistre family became by marriage, owners of the fief of St Jean La Hougue Boëte, and was recently represented by the Le Couteurs, seigneurs of the fief.
Thomas Pipon, younger brother of the Lieut-Bailiff, acquired from Thomas Scelle, later Jurat, on 1 May 1641, a certain house and household with a vegetable garden and field, known as Maison de la Fosse, for 20 livres. This Thomas Pipon held several posts in his parish, both municipal and ecclesiastic, and his name, with the title of Deacon and the date 1641, can be read on the parish church bell, founded at this time.
His eldest son Elie, born in 1635, was baptised at St Brelade, probably the birth parish ofhis mother, Marie Guillaume.
- "1635: Elie, son of Thomas Pipon, son of Jean of St Peter, was baptised, presented by Jean Pipon, son of Jean of St Peter, of Coin Varin, and Suzanne Dumaresq, his mother, on 11 October."
On 16 October 1666 Elie Pipon was sworn in as one of the Royal Court Denonciateurs; some time after he became Deputy Viscount. On 3 June 1681 Francis Carpender, procureur of Sir John Lanier, Governor, appointed Elie Pipon to act in his absence in matters concerning taxes; and on 7 November 1681 Elie Pipon, appointed by the Governor to continue as Receiver, was officially sworn in to this position, which he held until his death.
By a contract of 18 June 1695 Elie Pipon bought from the representatives of Lord Carteret, grandson of Sir George Carteret, Bailiff and Lieut-Governor, with the consent of His Majesty and by virtue of a Letter Patent of 16 January 1695, the fief and Seigneurie of Noirmont for 700 pounds Sterling and 45 pounds Sterling for fees. The Letter Patent authorised George, Lord Carteret, to sell the fiefs of Meleches, Grainville, Noirmont and others which had been given to his Grandfather in recognition of his services against the Turks.
Rachel de Carteret, nee Nicolle, of Vinchelez de Haut, daughter and co-heir ofJean Nicolle, Viscount, and Anne de Carteret, his wife, sister of George, endeavoured to obtain the fief of Noirmont by right of retrait lignager, an old right by which any blood relation of a seller could buy back a property for same price as the buyer had paid, to keep it in the family, but her case was dismissed by two judgments of the Royal Court, confirmed by Order in Council of 23 July 1696.
Elie Pipon died only a few months after buying Noirmont and was buried on 10 March 1696 in St Peter's Church. Philippe, his eldest son, succeeded him as Receiver General and was sworn in as such on 7 May 1696. It was he, it seems, who was the first of his family to inhabit Noirmont Manor. The old building was demolished less than a century ago.
He married on 11 November 1699 Elizabeth, daughter of James de Carteret and widow of Philippe de Carteret, Seigneur of Rozel, son of Francois. James de Carteret, younger son of Sir George, had the title 'Honourable' because he was the younger son of a Lord, even though his favher died before the Patent conferring his peerage [the writer used the old French word pairie] had been signed by Charles II. It had been intended, nevertheless, that the younger sons would have this courtesy title because their father had lived long enough to enjoy the honours which the King intended to bestow on him.
Philippe Pipon, Receiver General for 20 years from 1696 to 1716, was elected Jurat on 3 April 1725, but did not enjoy this honour for very long, because he died suddenly the following January. A manuscript of the time recording his death referred to differences between him and his brother. He was buried in St Brelade's Parish Church, under his pew, on 8 January 1726.
The brother referred to in the manuscript was Jean Pipon, 12 years younger than Philippe. He had settled at St Peter, undoubtedly on his inheritance from his father, and was elected Constable of the parish on 4 March 1708. After nearly 20 years in this post he was elected Jurat in February 1727. It was probably he, with two others, who bought the fief of Vingt Livres from Lord Jean Carteret on 4 July 1722.
Action concerning church pew
On 8 May 1733 an action started between Jurat Jean Pipon and Jean Le Maistre over a pew in the south chapel of St Peter's Church, which Pipon was accused of taking, to the prejudice of Le Maistre. The affair came before the Court again on 4 May 1734, this time at the request of Edouard Le Maistre, Jean's principal heir.
According to the Act of this date the disputed pew, which was part of the estate of the Pipons of l'Aleval, had been placed opposite the lectern, behind that of Raulin Robin and in front of that of Pierre Balleine. Jean Pipon had removed Jean Le Maistre's pew and replaced it with another without permission. We do not know what the judgment was in this case.
Jean Pipon died without issue in 1740. The St John registers record that Jurat Jean Pipon was buried on 21 July 1740 in the east chapel of the Parish Church of St Peter in the same place where his father had been interred.
James Pipon, the eldest son of Philippe, studied at Caen, which was common practice for the majority of young Jerseymen in this era who were destined for the Bar. On 26 November 1730, before even becoming an Advocate, he was sworn in as Deputy Attorney-General on the nomination of Jean Le Hardy, Attorney-General, and with the Court's approval, and again on 3 November 1732, this time 'to act during the Attorney-General's visit to England'. He fulfilled this role again on several occasions.
He was sworn in as an Advocate of the Royal Court on 7 July 1733, by virtue of a letter from the Bailiff, Lord Carteret, to his Lieutenant. On 3 May 1743 he was sworn in as Jurat, a position he would hold for 23 years. In December 1732 he married Elizabeth, the only daughter and heir of Benjamin Dumaresq, son of Benjamin, whose principal property was in Grouville [the marriage was recorded in the St Lawrence and St John registers - Ed]. Following the marriage he settled for several years in Grouville and the Court ruled that all his property in the island was liable for rates in that parish. In June 1741 he left Grouville for St Brelade.
Elie, eldest son of James, became Seigneur of Noirmont on the death of his father in 1766, andafter having been Constable of St Brelade for two years, he was sworn in as Jurat on 20 January 1776. On 26 April 1783 Elie Pipon sold to Matthieu Horton, son of Matthieu, a house and household, offices, vegetable garden, the Pre du Percage and other land, all connected and bordering public roads, and situated on the fief des Vingt Livres in St Peter - seemingly the property known as La Fosse.
He also sold the house or houses and garden of Seale, bordering the public roads, on fief d'Orville et du Prieur in St Peter, which had been inherited from Delavale Pipon, eldest heiress of her aunt, the late Jeanne Pipon, by rights of 22 April 1769, the total sales for 36 quarters of wheat rente annually.
Jurat Elie Pipon died in 1788 and was buried on 22 December under his pew in St Brelade's Parish Church. Because he had not married, his brother James, principal heir, became Seigneur of Noirmont. He had to sustain various actions relating to his rights as seigneur, which can be found in Vol 4 of Orders in Council. He did not take an active part in public affairs, but was, however, for several years, Colonel of the 5th Regiment of the Militia. He died at an advanced age in 1819. His three sons James, Elie and Philippe had distinguished military careers.
The eldest, James, born in 1770, spent several years of his youth in Spain. When the war with France broke out he seems to have been employed by his government as a Military Quartermaster (Commissary), but without official appointment, and did this for three years. His knowledge of French and Spanish brought him to the attention of Sir Ralph Abercrombie, who called on his services for the Mediterranean Expedition in 1801, and obtained for him a Royal Commission as Assistant Commissary.
He took part in the Egypt campaign with General Hutchinson and when he marched on Cairo, Pipon remained at Alexandria with the troops commanded by Sir Eyre Coote. He was also at the head of the supply corps at Minorca, under General Clephane.
In July 1808 'Deputy Commissary General Pipon' embarked for Cork with Sir Arthur Wellesley [Later Duke of Wellington - Ed] as Senior Commissary Officer of the trops sent to Portugal, and disembarked with them the same year at the mouthof the Mondego. Pipon seems to have remained in Portugal when Sir Arthur returned to England after the Battle of Vimeira. He was later sent to Lisbon to direct the depot for money and munitions established in this capital.
From a statement of accounts he drew up it emerges that between 25 October 1811 and 24 October 1813 nearly 22 million pounds Sterling passed through his hands. At the end of the war he was decorated with the Portuguese Order of the Tower and Epee, His nomination as Commissaire General appeared in the Official Gazette of 10 December 1814. He died at Noirmont in February 1837.
Jerripedia includes four articles on James Pipon of Noirmont
- James Pipon of Noirmont in the Commissariat
- James Pipon 1805-1808
- James Pipon and Sir Arthur Wellesley
- James Pipon - a postscript
James' brother Elie, born at Noirmont in 1772, obtained a commission in the 63rd Regiment. When returning from the East Indies, the ship on which he travelled was taken by the French vessel Les Droits de l'Homme, which shortly after sank in the Bay of Audierne. Of the 1,200 people on board, only 25, among them Lieut Elie Pipon, were saved.
We have been supplied with a hand-written note by a grand nephew of Elie Pipon and apparently written by him:
- "Here, around this druid stone, are buried around 600 shipwrecked on the vessel Les Droits de l'Homme, broken up in the storm of 14 January 1797. Major Pipon, born in Jersey, miraculously escaped this disaster and returned to this place on 21 July 1840, duly authorised, it had engraved on the stone the durable testimony of his gratitude: A Deo vita, spes in Deo.
Elie Pipon was soon freed and obtained a safe conduct to return to England. Afterwards he commanded the Newfoundland Fencibles. After the peace he cam to live in Jersey and was, in 1825, owner of Blanc Pignon in St Brelade. He hadobtained the rank of Major when he died in 1848. A portrait in oil of Major Elie Pipon and a picture of the vessel Les Droits de l'Homme is in the possession of the family of the late General Philip Gosset Pipon.
Philippe Pipon, the youngest of the three brothers, born in 1781, was a Marine officer, possibly in the Artillery, and died gloriously in 1811 leading his men into combat. He joined as Lieutenant of Marines on 6 February 1805, and was attached to the 75th Company at Plymouth. He served in the frigate Impérieuse in the Mediterranean in 1811.
James’ Naval History shows that he took part in the cutting out expedition on 11 October 1811 at Possitano in the gulf of Salerno. Again on 1 and 2 November 1811 he commanded the Marines of the Thames and Impérieuse, in the attack and capture of the port of Palinuro, in company with seamen and 250 men of the 62nd Regiment under Major Darby. He was wounded in this affair.
Four officer sons
By his marriage to Elizabeth Dobbyn Hodges (1787-1884), James Pipon, Seigneur of Noirmont, had a large family. His four sons were all Army or Marine officers. The eldest, Col James Kennard Pipon, born in May 1807, was an officer in the 94th and 85th regiments, then worked in the War Office, and was for many years Colonel of the 5th Regiment of the Jersey Militia. He died in June 1868, victim of a road accident in Yorkshire.
Nathaniel Hodges Pipon, the next oldest, entered the Royal Marines and was Lieutenant until his death in 1840. The third, John Hodges Pipon, was an officer in the Royal Engineers and drowned in the Restigouche River, New Brunswick, saving the life of a young boy. He attained the rank of Captain.
Philip Gosset Pipon, the youngest son, was born on 11 April 1824. He entered the Royal Artillery in 1842, took part in the Crimea campaign in 1854-55, in Canada in 1867, became a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1875, and at the time of his death in November 1905 was a General and Colonel Commandant of the Royal Artillery. He was buried in St Saviour.
Colonel James Kennard Pipon left three sons. The eldest is the Rev James Clement Collier Pipon; the second Major-General Henry Pipon, who fought in Afghanistan from 1878 to 1880 and took part in the expedition to China in 1902. The third, the late Capt John Pakenham Pipon, born in 1849, entered the Royal Marines in 1862 and was promoted Commander in 1880. He took part in 1875 in the Malayan expeditions, was present at the bombardment of Alexandra and in the Egypt campaign in 1882. He also took part in the Burma war in 1885-86 and was Consul at Beira for some time.
He was appointed Companion of the Order of the Bath at the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria and was appointed CMG for services rendered as British Consul at Beira, as well as being ADC to the Queen.
The current representative of the family is the Rev James Clement Collier Pipon, Rector of Toddington, near Dunstable. It was he in 1880 who sold the fief and Seigneurie of Noirmont to the late Girard de Quetteville.