Therin family page
Anna Sophia Therin (1876- ), who married Charles Fossey in Trinity in 1900
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Therin is perhaps a variant of Therain, a name found in Normandy and Picardy, derived from the river Thérain, a tributary of the Oise, and several localities named after it. However, the members of the family who came to Jersey appear all to have originated in Ploeuc-sur-Lie in north Brittany.
The name first appears in Jersey birth records in the 1870s, and within a short period births were registered in St Lawrence, Trinity, St Saviour, St Ouen and St John. This is a typical pattern suggesting that either a Therin rrived in the island as a farmworker and moved from one farm to another, or two or more Therins, perhaps brothers, arrived in the island at the same time, but worked on different farms.
Great War service
- Peter James Therin (1898-1917) son of Peter and Jane Therin of Trinity, Gunner RGA, died from fever
- Leonard John Therin (1897- ) (Tr) son of Leonard and Jeanne, ex-RMIJ, Private RAMC
- Wilfred Therin (1889- ) (St O) son of Louis and Harriet, husband of Eliza Vibert, ex-RMIJ, Sergeant, Worcester Regiment
These wills created by members of the Therin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Therin : Alfred , of Gardner House, 15, Clarence Road, St Helier - 31/Jul/1973 , 29/Oct/1974 , D/Y/B1/213/11
- Therin : Annie Sophie , widow of Charles Fossey, of Burr-oak, Augres, Trinity - 24/Sep/1970 , 24/Sep/1970 , D/Y/B1/150/11
- Therin : Cyprien , Trinity - 24/Jan/1925 , 21/Oct/1929 , D/Y/A/89/179
- Therin : Mabel Louisa , of 15, Trinity Road, St Helier - 30/Aug/1950 , 01/Dec/1967 , D/Y/B1/114/12
- Therin : Pierre Marie Francois , of Faldouet House, Gorey, St Martin and formerly of Mon Plaisir, St Mary - 29/Oct/1954 , 20/Jan/1967 , D/Y/B1/104/30
- Therin : Pierre Yves , La Chevre Rue, St Mary - 12/Sep/1939 , 03/Aug/1945 , D/Y/A/114/13
- Therin : Rosalie Marie Francoise , widow of Pierre Marie Rio, of Ocean View, La Moye, St Brelade - 27/Apr/1951 , 20/Jan/1966 , D/Y/B1/94/7
- Therin : Wilfred , of Sandybrook Hospital, Grouville Annexe, Grouville and formerly of Ancient House, Leoville, St Ouen - 11/Feb/1969 , 08/May/1973 , D/Y/B1/190/11
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs