Tirel family page
Emile Serginac Tirel (1873- ), see family album below
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is common in the Manche department of Normandy and adjoining Ile-et-Vilaine in Brittany. It's origin is uncertain but it may be a diminuitive of Thierry. Alternatively it may be a diminuitive of the old French tire, the name given to silk cloth. Variant spellings are found elsewhere in France.
The name first appears in church records in the first decade of the 19th century, but the name must have been present earlier and the family then died out because, as our Comprehensive list of Jersey surnames shows, there was a record for Tirel in 1607.
- Descendants of Emile Tirel
- Descendants of Pierre Tirel This tree has now been found to have significant errors. The above tree now contains all available information about this family
Great War service
Father and son
- Albert George Tirel (St H) ex-RMIJ, Private, RJGB, husband of Marie Rosalie, nee Dinan
- George Albert Emile Tirel (1900-1917) son of above, of St Helier, Mercantile Marine, ss Galway Castle, killed
- Joseph John Tirel (St H), Private, Worcester Regiment
- William Frank Edward Tirel (1893- ) (St H) son of Jean Arsene and Alice Maud Mary Moignard, Private, Labour Corps
- Paul Tirel, a Frenchman with a family in Jersey
These wills created by members of the Tirel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Bienaimé Tirel of St Helier, bequeaths to St Augustine's Home for the Poor, Hautville, the residue of the personal estate - 1894 November 3, D/Y/A/53
- Marie Tirel, Fair View, Grouville, widow of Jean Michel Amédée Ozouf - 5 November 1925, D/Y/A/85
Family photo album
Emile Tirel (41) of St Helier and his wife Matilda, nee Gouffini (40) were convicted by the Royal Court in 1915 of keeping a disorderly house and both sentenced to two months prison with hard labour. The photograph of Emile Tirel previously shown here has been deleted on the insistence of Jersey Archive
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs