Viel family page
Francis Abraham Viel (1847-1921) born in St Saviour, the son of Francois Louis and Douce, nee Le Huquet, husband of Ann Le Vesconte
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name appears to be peculiar to Normandy, where it is still quite common today. It has its origins either in the French word vieille (old), or the medieval personal name which was a popular form of 'Vital', of whom there were several saints. The Latin root suggests someone alive or lively, which is almost the opposite of the other derivation.
There are just three Viel households in Jersey today. Church records start with the marriage of Nicollas to Marguitte Piouet (Pirouet?), daughter of Mathieu, in St Brelade in 1572, but there are no baptism records until the children of Elie, Mathieu and Jean in St Peter in the 1630s.
However, other records show that the name was present in Jersey as far back as the 13th century, and the alternative spellings lend weight to the theory that this family at least can trace its origins to the French word vieille.
- Viel, 1299
- Viell, 1528
- Le Veeil 15c
Great War service
- Charles Francis Viel (1894-1918) (St H) son of Walter and Julia Viel, Private, Machine Gun Corps, died
- Sidney John James Viel (1901- ) (St S) Private, Canada
- Ernest Walter George Viel (1899- ) (St H) son of Walter John and Mary Ann Julia Trolley, Mercantile Marine Reserve (not born in Southampton as shown in digital RoS)
These wills created by members of the Viel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Abraham Viel, 37 Pier Road, St Helier 12 June 1915 28 August 1915- 7 August 1918, D/Y/A/78
- Charles Viel - 22 August 1936, D/Y/A/99
- Elie Viel 23 March 1706 - D/Y/A/3
- Eugenie Viel, Mont Les Vaux, St Aubin, St Brelade - 22 March 1921, D/Y/A/81
- George Viel residing near Les Niemes, Croix-au-Lion, St Peter - 11 June 1925, D/Y/A/85
- Georgina Viel née Sebire, 10 Craig Street, St Helier - 19 February 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Jacques Viel of Picauville dit Le Pont L'Abé, Department of Manche, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 10s 19 January 1828 - D/Y/A/21
- Jeanne Viel, widow of William Le Boutillier, of St Peter, bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, £20 tournois of the order of the King, desires to be buried in St Peter's cemetery 4 February 1826 - D/Y/A/20
- Marie Viel, St Brelade - 27 March 1895, D/Y/A/54
- Susan Viel, 5 Stopford Road, St Helier - 5 October 1945, D/Y/A/114
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Charles Francis Viel at Cologne Southern Cemetery