Wakeham family page
Richard James Wakeham (1838-1914)
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This English surname is linked to three places called Wakeham, in Devons, in Sussex, or near Weymouth in Dorset. The derivation in all cases is from the old English personal byname "Waca" meaning "watchful", plus "ham", meaning a farm or homestead.
The surname did not arrive in Jersey until the 1830s, when 12 children of six different families were baptised in St Helier, Grouville, St Saviour and St Lawrence in the decade.
Great War service
- Albert Wakeham (1892-1915) (St H) son of Kate, grandson of Elizabeth, L-Cpl, Yorkshire Regiment, killed in action
- John Wakeham (1877-1916) (St P) son of John and Elizabeth, ex-RMIJ,Private, Canadian Infantry, killed in action
- Edmund William Wakeham (1896- ) (France) son of Louisa, Private, Dorset Regiment
- Stanley John Wakeham (1890- ) (St Mt) son of John Charles and Amelia Elizabeth, ex-RMIJ, Air Mechanic RAF
- Walter John Wakeham (1895- ) (Cardiff) son of John P Wakeham of St H, Private, RASC
- William Edward Wakeham (1865- ) (St H) son of Edward and Elizabeth Butler, husband of Annie Morris, Private, Royal Irish Fusiliers
These wills created by members of the Wakeham family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Wakeham : Alice Jane , of Mannamead, Plaisance Road, St Saviour - 13/Feb/1962 , 13/Apr/1962 , D/Y/B1/68/59
- Wakeham : Beryl Joyce , wife of Joseph Victor Newington, of Sandoville, Mont Cochon, St Helier - 26/Jul/1966 , 26/Jul/1966 , D/Y/B1/99/39
- Wakeham : Edmond William , of 16, Union Street, St Helier - 28/Oct/1942 , 07/Jan/1955 , D/Y/B1/27/55
- Wakeham : Elizabeth Ann , of Daisy Farm, St Peter - 16/Jul/1947 , 12/Feb/1962 , D/Y/B1/67/71
- Wakeham : Esther Jane , wife of William Charles Day Luce, St Saviour - 02/Aug/1924 , 28/Feb/1938 , D/Y/A/102/37
- Wakeham : Florence , nee Bennett, Vale House Val Plaisant, St Helier, widow - 30/Nov/1942 , 22/Dec/1948 , D/Y/A/120/104
- Wakeham : George Thomas , Vale House, Val Plaisant, St Helier 21/09/1937 rust stains - Unknown date , 21/Jan/1938 , D/Y/A/102/10
- Wakeham : John , Centra House, St Marks Road, St Helier - 07/Jan/1909 , 13/Jan/1912 , D/Y/A/71/6
- Wakeham : John , Melbourne House, 5 St James Street, St Helier - 27/Aug/1912 , 19/Mar/1918 , D/Y/A/77/100
- Wakeham : John Charles , La Croix Cottage, St Martin - 09/Jan/1926 , 20/Jun/1936 , D/Y/A/99/33
- Wakeham : Louisa Jane , nee Crossman, of 20, Southlands, Green Road, St Clement - 02/Sep/1949 , 14/May/1960 , D/Y/B1/59/40
- Wakeham : Percy George , of Villa Marguerite, St Saviour - 07/Jul/1942 , 06/Mar/1953 , D/Y/B1/18/22
- Wakeham : Stanley John , of La Croix, St Martin - 18/Aug/1943 , 09/Jan/1970 , D/Y/B1/140/35
- Wakeham : Thomas , of Eastleigh, Plat Douet Road, St Saviour and formerly of St Osyth, Bagot, St Saviour - 16/Sep/1947 , 28/Jun/1972 , D/Y/B1/176/37
- Wakeham : Violet May , widow of William Valentine Farnham, of the Finsbury Hotel, Weighbridge, St Helier and formerly of Craigard, Grouville - 12/Mar/1964 , 05/Jan/1970 , D/Y/B1/140/19
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty John Wakeham at Voormezeele Enclosure, near Ieper