Sir William Henry Arnold ( 1903 - 1973) was Bailiff of Guernsey between 1959 and 1973.
He was the youngest of 11 children of Mr and Mrs W. J. Arnold of Les Landes Farm, Castel. He was educated at the States Intermediate School, and then studied law, first at Caen University and then in London at Gray's Inn.
In 1926 he was called to the English Bar and the following year to the Guernsey Bar, and practised in Guernsey until the World War II when he went into the Army.
He returned to the island on Liberation Day, 1945, having been largely responsible for the defence regulations and arrangements for the liberation.
In 1930 Mr Arnold was elected a People's Deputy, a post which he held until 1940. In 1946 he was appointed as HM Procureur, an office he held until he was elected Bailiff of Guernsey in succession to Sir Ambrose Sherwill in 1959.
He was honoured by the Queen by being given a C.B.E., then he was knighted and finally in the 1973 Birthday Honours he received the K.B.E.
He was one of the founder members of the Guernsey Society, whilst living in London during World War II. He also contributed the foreword to the Society's book, The Guernsey Farmhouse, published in 1964.
He died on July 21, 1973, just before his 70th birthday and also just before his retirement.
|Sir Ambrose Sherwill
|Sir William Arnold
|Sir John Loveridge|