Street History - Halkett Place, Part 2
In the first part of our stroll through the decades along Halkett Place using census returns and other references to identify occupants of premises and their businesses, we started at the junction with King Street and Queen Street and learned that odd-numbered properties were on the left, or west side, and even numbered on the opposite side.
We also discovered that in the 19th century properties did not have the same numbers as they do today, because the street was then considerably shorter than it is now.
We reached No 6, which in 1841 and 1851 was occupied by printer Chadwick Le Lievre, a Guernseyman whose son became a successful printer, library owner and newspaper proprietor.
By 1861 English confectioner Mark Saunders was established here, living with his wife Caroline and three daughters and six sons, all born in Jersey. Eldest son James and his sisters Caroline and Jane assisted in the shop. The family was still present in 1871, but ten years later their shop had been taken over by hat manufacturer widow Emelia Moore.
In 1891 Parisian Eugene Pelletier had established a bakery at No 6, living above the shop with his mother Josephine. He was still there in 1901 and 1911, but by then the premises had been renumbered 20. Eugene married his wife Emilie, who was born in Guernsey, of French parents, and 20 years younger than him, in about 1892 and they had two daughters, Rose and Marie.
There were many more auction houses in Jersey in the 19th century then there are today and as the town developed several occupied high street premises, although only briefly. In Halkett Place in 1841 John Gartrell ran his auctioneer’s business at No 8 and Henry Millard was in competition across the road at No 9.
Ten years later they had left. Nobody was then living at No 8 and William Ward was established as a grocer at No 9. By 1861 Thomas Ruth and his wife Jane were established as stay manufacturers at No 8 and Thomas Le Breton (70), a paperhanger, was at No 9, living with his wife Mary, son Thomas and daughter Mary. The younger Thomas and his sister would remain there for the next three censuses. In 1891 seamstress Sophia Daniel was the head of a separate household at No 9, living with her 14-year-old daughter Florence.
At No 10 in 1841 we find tailor Thomas Gaudin and his milliner wife Mary, living together with several bonnet makers. In 1851 tea merchant George Birt was at No 10 with a servant. The census return for 1861 is strange. No head of household is shown and Frenchman Edward Duverdier is listed as married and the ‘son-in-law of a milliner’. Living with him were his 7-year-old daughter Margaret and a servant. ‘Margaret’ was baptised Marguerite Jeanne Marie Duverdier, the daughter of Edouard Guillaume Bonnet Duverdier and Henriette Nicolle.
What has happened to Henriette by 1861 is unclear. The Guernsey census for that year shows a Harriet Duverdier, born in Jersey, living in that island with her French husband, Bonnet Duverdier.
The 1871 census answers some questions but confuses matters further because now there is no sign of Edouard Duverdier, but Henriette is back, shown as married, and the head of household is milliner Jane Nicolle, her mother. Also in the household are Henriette’s sister Josephine and brother Adolphe, her daughter Marguerite and a servant.
Ten years later Josephine Nicolle is the head of household and in business as a milliner and Henriette, still married, is shown as a visitor. By 1891 the Nicolles and Duverdiers have all left and No 10 is occupied by Daniel Harris, a doctor, his sister, aunt and cousin.
Linen draper Richard Turner was at No 11 in 1841 with his wife Ann and three children, and a second household comprised baker John Joste with his wife Mary and three children.
In 1851 the premises were occupied by French merchant Prospere Beghin, his wife Henrietta from Brussels, their two young sons and several servants. It is not known whether these Beghins were related to another French merchant, Napoleon Beghin, who lived at No 33 at the same time, with his wife Julie and young daughter and son. Napoleon and his father Paul were the founders of Beghin's shoe shop, which started in nearby Beresford Street.
Draper Philippe Nicolle was at No 11 in 1861 with his son John and daughter-in-law Jane and they were followed ten years later by the Collenette family. Joseph (30) ran a fancy goods warehouse and lived with his wife Ann and two young daughters. No occupants are shown at the premises in the next two censuses.
Emelie Filleul was trading in fancy goods and toys at No 12 in 1841. Another Beghin, Philip, was part of the household. Ten years later bookseller William Bedstone was the occupant and was assisted by his daughter Mary. They were followed in 1861 by master butcher Clement Le Sueur, who probably traded elsewhere because his wife Ellen is shown as a fancy shopkeeper.
The premises again had new occupants in 1871 – English hat manufacturer Nicholas Brown, his Jersey wife Susanne and their three adult children. Mr Brown employed a staff of four. By 1881 his son, also Nicholas, had taken over the business, working with his brother John and cousin Adeline Valpy. Nicholas and John were still trading in 1891. By 1901 the premises had been renumbered No 26 and youngest brother Philip Brown was trading there living with his sister Susan. He was still at No 26 in 1911.
We encountered the occupant of No 13 Halkett Place, printer and newspaper proprietor Chadwick Le Lievre, in the first article in this series so we move on to No 14, which does not appear in the 1841 census, but was occupied in 1851 by jeweller Mary Collenette, her two daughters and a servant.
In 1861 confectioner Daniel Le Gull and his wife Margaret were at No 14, employing eight people in their business. Ten years later the occupants are shown as Charles and Margaret Gull, respectively 12 and eight years older. In 1881 Margaret is in business with her niece Elizabeth Dickson but, although the census shows her as married, there is no sign of her husband.
By 1891 Charles George Burnham has taken over the confectionery business with his wife Elizabeth and their first four children. No occupants are shown at the renumbered No 28 in either 1901 or 1911.
Across the road Nos 15 and 17 were both occupied by grocers in 1841 – respectively John Gavey and Nancy Touzel. By 1851 draper Richard Turner had moved from No 11 to No 15 and the occupants of No 17 are shown as grocer Thomas Le Touzel and his wife Nancy.
In 1861 tea dealer and spirit merchant Clement Sullivan was at No 15 and furniture broker John Gaskell (60) and his 25-year-old wife Sophie were the occupants of No 17. Mr Sullivan was still at No 15 in 1871.
Boot manufacturer Edward Gellender and his family had moved in by 1881. He had a staff of 12 and traded as Gellender and Son, the son also named Edward. It appears that Edward Gellender had a shop at No 3 King Street in 1870, but by 1880 his younger brother George Thomas Gellender was trading there so Edward must have moved to Halkett Place. The family were still there in 1891 but do not show in the renumbered street in the 1901 census, although the advertisement on the left indicates that their shop continued trading at what became No 25
No 17 had several changes of occupant. In 1871 draper Jane Le Feuvre was trading there with her daughter Sophie. Although Sophie is shown as Le Feuvre in the census, a 12-year-old son and two younger daughters, with the surname Le Couteur, were living with her and by 1881 widowed Sophie Le Couteur is shown as head of household with three daughters aged 25, 20 and 19, and a fourth aged only 7. The St Helier baptism records show that Sophie’s husband and the father of all four children was John Le Couteur, originally known as Jean.
By 1891 No 17 was occupied by tobacconist Edward Mackenzie, his wife Eva and two young sons. They were still there ten years later, when the property had been renumbered 27, but in 1911 no occupants were shown in the census.
This is a convenient place to break our journey, which will be continued in the third part of this series
- 70 years of Halkett Place - Part 1
- 70 years of Halkett Place - Part 3
- 70 years of Halkett Place - Part 4