Augres Farm, Trinity
Rue du Moulin de Bas, Trinity
No 1 sold for £1,150,000 in 2018
Type of property
An historic farm group including a very complete three-cell house of c1400, with a 17th century wing
Families associated with the property
- 16 ACB MP 79 on shield background, with ICB added below. This indicates Aaron Cabot ( -1715) and Marie Poingdestre ( -1710) and their son Jean Cabot (1660- ). The two pillars also have the same initials.
Historic Environment Record entry
An historic farm group which has developed since circa 1400. It encompasses a farmhouse of circa 1400 origins, with a 17th century dower wing, and a range of 19th century outbuildings. A circa 1500 oak window frame was donated to Jersey Museum in 2004.
The main house (No 1 Augres Farm) has a modern pitched slate roof with brick chimneys. Adjoining to the southwest is a dower wing (No 2 Augres Farm - La Bicherie') with similar pitched slate roof and brick chimney.
Detached on the southwest side of the courtyard is a converted milking shed (now No 3 Augres Farm - 'La Laiteire' and No 4 Augres Farm).
Detached on the southeast of the group is a single storey building (No 5 Augres Farm - 'East Barn') The farm pump is retained next to the courtyard door.
Forming the northeast side of the courtyard is a farm range (No 6 and No 7 Augres Farm - 'La Cloche')
There is a large arched carriage entrance, and the original farm bell retained on the wall of No 7. The interior interest is restricted to the main house and to the former dower cottage.
Old Jersey Houses
The property is listed in Volume 1 of Joan Stevens' work. She failed to identify Marie Poingdestre, wife of Aaron Cabot
- "Originally there was probably a round arched entrance here, as there are some surviving chamfered stones at the entrance to the courtyard.
- "Inside the courtyard is a pleaqsing house, with only three windows on the first floor. The round arch has double voussoirs and in front of it, two porch pillars, which are so rare, the only other example being Hamptonne, St Lawrence.
- "There is a benetier in the living room and a legend that two more exist somewhere in the house.
- "The keystone of the large arch of the outside gateway, which is lying on the margin of the road, bears the date 1679 and the initials ACB MP — those of the Cabot family — but the general appearance of the farm house would incline one to assign an earlier date to the building. On each side of the front door is a stone pillar supporting a portico, and they are similar to those at Hamptonne (1637), whence however the portico roof is missing. The left hand pillar is carved with the same initials as those on the big arch outside, ACB, but the right hand pillar is cut ICB, and there is no date on either post.
- "The bénitier is situated in a wall facing the front door at the right hand side of the archway leading to the circular staircase which turns left to ascend. This position is exactly the same as that occupied by the bénitier at Chestnut Grove, before its removal to its present position out of doors, and in that case also, the stairs ascended to the left.
- "The arch is trefoil and circular, not pointed. Both points of the trefoil are slightly damaged. The right hand jamb is composed of two stones but the left side is formed of one stone only."
Notes and references