If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maison du Mont au Pretre 
- The Priory
Ruelle Vaucluse, St Helier
Type of property
18th century farmstead with earlier origins
Sold for £910,000 in 2014, £695,000 the following year, and twice for £850,000, a week apart in 2018
Families associated with the property
- De Ste Croix
- Le Main: In 1941 Gaspand John Le Main (1903- ), his wife Deborah Blanche, née De La Cour (1908- ) and their children Malcolm Gaspand (1933- ) and Brian Gaspand (1935- ) were living here.
- 1712 - no initials
- CDSX ♥ MELP 1761 - For Charles de Ste Croix and Madeleine Elizabeth Lemprière 
- GLP 1826 - Probably also for Lempriere
- JCLB 1889 - Not in datestone register, not interpreted
Historic Environment Record entry
This is a comprehensive 18th century farm group, with earlier origins.
It contributes to its roadside setting. It retains its original character and many historic features internally and externally. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The two-storey, six-bay farmhouse has one bay to west with barn running north/south to west. Outbuildings connect to northeast corner running north; detached outbuilding running parallel to east. Further detached buildings to north.
Dove holes. Apple crusher in garden.
Previous assessments record original granite fireplaces, ceiling beams, and signs of built in colombier in upper floor. This is the possible site of a chapel.
Old Jersey Houses
Joan Stevens wrote in Vol One that here has never been a priority of this name in Jersey, nor a priory of any name in the vicinity of this property.
Datestones at the property are from 1721 and 1761, but the house is undoubtedly much older. Whether it is as old as the Abbey, whose round arch front door is estimated as possibly as early as 1500, is uncertain.
However, the Priory made it into the first volume of Mrs Stevens' work, whereas the Abbey is to be found in Volume Two.
Mrs Stevens noted the connection with the de Ste Croix family identified by the 1761 stone, but she misread it and described its engraving as CDSX MER, unsurprisingly failing to identify the lady who married Charles de Ste Croix in 1750 and lived with him in the house.
Notes and references
- ↑ The name has been changed backwards and forwards from The Priory to Maison du Mont au Pretre
- ↑ Stone erased in late 20th century. Why?? We have been unable to identify Charles because he does not fit into any existing Jerripedia family tree, nor have we found him online, perhaps because he and Madeleine had just three daughters, Madeleine, Anne and Susanne, and no son to continue the family name. There were five Charles de Ste Croix baptised in St Helier between 1723 and 1729, three of whom died in infancy, leaving the sons of Nicolas de Ste Croix and Marie Mollet and Charles de Ste Croix and Susanne Laurens, who could have been the owner of this property.
- ↑ On wellhead. As shown in datestone register. HER suggests that it might be GUR, but it is difficult to see how one could be mistaken for the other