De Soulemont family history
An article, to which we refer the reader, was devoted to this family in the 18th Bulletin.
- Guillotin de Soubzlemont reconnait avoir acheté un quartier de froment de rente à Guernesey de Perrot Trechart. Cette rente a été transférée à Guillot Le Pipet dit Jambard, et de Soubzlemont s'engage à aller a Guernesey pour compléter ce transfert.
- A contract of 1388. Guillotin de Soubzlemont recognised having bought a quarter of wheat rente in Guernsey from Perrot Trechart. This rente has been transferred to Guillot Le Pipet dit Jambard and de Soubzlemonht undertakes to go to Guernsey to complete the transfer.
Charing Cross home
The ancient home of the senior branch of this family was called Maison des Mielles and was situated on the edge of the town "close to La Planque", not far, without doubt, from Charing Cross. This property was indivisible.
The branch founded by Nicolas de Soulemont, Jurat in 1551, inherited the large house of Gosselin in the town, situated on the FIef au Prieur, which passed eventually to Bailiff Herault, then to the Duhamel and Dumaresq families. Jurat Charles Dumaresq, father in law of the second Lieut-Bailiff Le Geyt, owned it in 1704.
This second branch possessed, as well, the ténement de Bras de Far at St Peter and, in 1589, the meadows of the FIef au Prieur de l'Ilet, at Mont Cochon. A considerable sum was paid to Nicolas de Soulemont about 1577 for the foundations of the market.
A third branch, founded by Thomas de Soulemont, Jurat in 1562, lived near the cemetery of the Town Church. A member of this family was Philippe de Soulemont, Advocate of the Royal Court in 1631, who was, during the Civil War, devoted to the Royalist cause. The diarist Chevalier recounts that he left for New Jersey in April 1650 with a shipload of colonists, but it was not a happy voyage because they were captured en route by a Parliamentary frigate.
de Soulemont fiefs
Among other fiefs having belonged to the de Soulemonts we mention:
The Fief du Buisson, of which Clement Lempriere was Seigneur in 1524, and Nicolas Lempriere in 1586. It was sold by Thomas de Soulemont to Benjamin La CLoche, Seigneur of Longueville, in 1612. That of Collette des Augres at St Helier, sold by the hereditary tenants of Nicolas de Soulemont to Elie Dumaresq, son of Helier, of La Haule, who sold it before 1620 to Jean Durel, son of Nicolas, Jurat in 1631.
Fief Sotel at St Peter, inherited or bought from the Duponts by Jean de Soulemont, Jurat in 1537. This fief was sold by Hugh de Soulemont on 9 May 1607, to Jean de Carteret, Seigneur of Vinchelez de Haut, for four chickens rente. But it must have been reclaimed because, in January 1669, Jean Hue, son of Helier and Marie de Soulemont, guardian of Marie, was sworn in as Sénéchal of his fief Sotel, or Sautel, at St Peter.
The Fief de la Carriere was sold by Hugh de Soulemont to Richard Fauvel, of Longueville, Grouville, in 1618.
Acts of Court
We mention finally three Acts of the Court. The first relates to Nicolas de Soulemont, who had lengthy differences with Nicolas Lempriere, Jurat from 1567-1609, and was suspended from his functions as Constable of St Helier in January 1587. The same day he was forbidden to carry arms against Nicolas de Soulemont and Guille de Soulemont, also involved in this action, without the express permission of the Governor or his Lieutenant. They also had to pledge 100 livres not to commit any wrong against the Queen's subjects.
The second Act refers to Jean de Soulemont, Jurat from 1537 to 1552, and a final citation relates to Nicolas de Soulemont jnr.