Origin of Surname
G R Balleine suggests that du Feu may come from "feu" a fief, or from "feu" a beech tree, or the first du Feu may have had his house burnt down.
Modern French sources prefer the fief option.
Today's anglicised pronunciation of the name in Jersey is closer to 'de few' than to the proper French.
- Guillaume and Nicolas du Feu appear in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550
- Elie du Feu (1597- ) m (1623) Jeanne Le Quesne (1602- ) of Trinity
- Richard du Feu (1624- ) m (1650- ) Elizabeth Blampied, d of Michel, of Trinity
- Jean du Feu (1651- ) m (1677) Rachel
- Jeanne du Feu (1678-1705) m Pierre Gallichan
- du Feu, 1668
- du Few 1607
- de Feu - the name is sometimes spelt this way in records, but it is incorrect
There is considerable overlap between a number of these trees, and some are very lacking in detail. They were all added to the site in 2011 and 2012 and, given the importance of the family in Jersey and the fact that there are nearly 800 births and baptisms in our database, the coverage of these family trees is less than satisfactory and they will all be reviewed when time permits
- Descendants of Collas du Feu
- Descendants of Collas du Feu - 2, another copy of the first tree from a different source, much abridged but with more early dates
- Descendants of Thomas du Feu
- Descendants of James Peter du Feu
- Descendants of Ernest Pierre Fontene du Feu
- Descendants of Nicolas du Feu
- Descendants of Jean du Feu
- Descendants of Richard du Feu Added 2021
- Du Feu baptisms in Jersey
- Du Feu marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Du Feu marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Du Feu burials in Jersey
Great War service
Biographies and family histories
- The sale of the cutter ''First'' Added 2019
- Les Ifs, Trinity
Click on any image to see the full-size version
An invoice issued in 1940 by builder A E du Feu for roof repairs for Mrs Dorey at 3 Almorah Crescent
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Norman du Feu at Monchy British Cemetery, Monchy-le-Preux
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form