- Gloucester Terrace
- Gloster Court
- Gloster House
- Gloster Mews
- O'Connell House
45-49 Rouge Bouillon, St Helier
Type of property
Early 19th century town terrace, requisitioned by the Germans during the Occupation
The properties are divided into flats and there have been numerous transactions over the last 15 years.
No 45, known as O'Connell House, pictured below, which is divided into two flats, was recently offered for sale for £1,895,000.
Families associated with the property
The 19th century censuses show just how under-occupied these large town houses could be:
Two of the terrace properties were occupied by Le Quesne descendants in 1871. At No 49 annuitant Marie Le Quesne (1818- ) was living on her own with two servants. At No 45, Mary Ann Le Quesne (1819- ), a widowed sugar and spirit merchant, was living with her three sons: Edward, a Savings Bank clerk; Ernest, a commercial clerk; and Charles, still a scholar at 17, which was very unusual at the time.
In between, at No 47, was Edward de La Taste (1826- ), his income coming from dividends, with his wife Julia (1825- ), children Julie, Edward and Alfred; and a cook and a housemaid.
Mary-Ann Le Quesne and here family were still at No 45. No 47 had been taken over by widowed John Coutanche (1826- ), the Registrar of Deeds. He lived with his son Adolphus, a solicitor's clerk, three daughters and two servants. No 49 was occupied by G F Remington (1892- ), an annuitant from London, his wife Mary (1831- ), six daughters and four servants.
Little had changed by 1891. Mary-Ann Le Quesne, now retired, was at No 45 with sons Ernest and Charles. Ernest had taken over from his mother as a general merchant and Charles was a retired Infantry Captain. Granddaughter Lilian and two servants made up the household. At No 47 John Coutanche had his sister-in-law Sophie Bailhache (1820- ) and daughters, Augusta and Florence, for company, and three servants to cater for their needs. No 49 had been taken over by socialite Eliza Otway, living alone, but with a houskeeper, ladies' maid, cook, housemaid, butler and footman to look after her, and her regular guests, as befitted one of the island's greatest entertainers.
Lady Otway's household had not changed by the 1901 census, but the numbering of the properties had, her residence being described as No 1 Gloster Terrace. John Coutanche, saill Registrar of Contracts at the age of 75, was still next door, with Augusta and Florence, and granddaughter Violet du Heaume, plus two servants. Mary-Ann Le Quesne had died and her son Edward, son of William Vesconte Le Quesne, who inherited the property from his father, was at No 3, head of a household which included two visitors and two servants. The other part of what had been known as No 45 Rouge Bouillon, and was now listed as No 4 Gloster Terrace, was occupied by retired Lieut-Colonel Ignatius Farrel (1838- ) a British citizen born in Philadelphia, USA, his wife Fanny (1846- ), and a cook and housemaid.
Historic Environment Record entry
Grade 2 listed buildings
A distinct 1830/40s terrace including an imposing five-bay house with grand double staircase, and an elegant pair of Georgian Palladian style houses which are among the best examples of domestic architecture of this period in Jersey.
The Le Gros Map, 1834, shows the site of the terrace as orchards, with an earlier roadside property - this stretch of road then called Adelaide Place.
In the years following the end of the Napoleonic Wars there was an influx of new British residents with a reasonable income and fashionable new tastes in architecture. This led to a sudden need for superior houses in or near town for the newcomers, and also for local people who had made money in fishing and shipping industries.
Georgian and Regency styles
They built fine houses of late Georgian and Regency styles. It is thought that No 45 and its pair No 47 (also 2 and 3 Gloster Terrace) were constructed around 1835.
The Public Registry shows that they were built by Nicholas Le Quesne, and inherited by two of his sons in 1847 - No 2 by Gifford Nicholas Le Quesne, and No 3 by William Vesconte Le Quesne.
The architect is unknown but Maurice Boots Architecture in Jersey suggests that the architect was the same as for Queens Road Terrace, which was developed by Nicholas Le Quesne in the mid-1840s.
The terrace is set back from the public road by a tree lined carriageway, with a granite boundary wall and various gateways. No 1 is five-bay, two-storey with single storey single bay wings to either side, all with basement. No 2 is four-bay, two-storey with a single storey single bay wing to the north. No 3 is four-bay, the two inner bays recessed, two-storey with attic, with a single storey three-bay wing to the south, containing ballroom and orangery, all with semi-basement. A subterraneous bunker complex runs further to the south.
The gardens originally extended further to the west and south, and included a tennis court. An additional rear servants' corridor was added sometime in the later 19th century to link the kitchens with the ballroom. Detached in the rear garden is an unusual subterraneous three-room structure which may have begun as a wine cave, built at the same time as the house, but which was apparently converted in the inter-war period to a secure room with steel vault door by John Tann of London, supplier of vaults and treasury doors to major banks. A distinct building is shown on the 1935 Ordnance Survey map.
An imposing six-pillar porch (shared with No 47) extends into a verandah, with fluted columns, ornate capitals and dentilled cornice. This is reached by curving flights of stone steps at each end following the Palladian style - the most important reception rooms being raised from ground floor in a piano nobile arrangement.
A utility wing (shared with No 47) extends to the west, echoing the style and finish of the main house. Attached to the rear is a later glazed extension with pilasters at ground floor level, and a semi-basement level with steps down to the kitchen quarters, and a flight of granite steps accessing the walled garden.
Detached in the rear garden is subterraneous store rooms with granite steps leading down - a later steel door cast by John Tann, of London.
Interior architectural quality
The architectural quality and unity of design continues to the interior of the house. The original plan form and arrangement of rooms is largely retained. The semi-basement houses the original kitchen quarters and offices (with further stores below the south wing). The raised ground floor contains the entrance stair hall and reception rooms, including a drawing room and dining room linked by double doors - off which there is a large room for entertaining (the saloon or ballroom) and access into an orangery.
The main staircase leads to the principal bedrooms at first floor. At the rear of the house runs a servants passage linking to a subsidiary scullery wing and a servants' stair which separately accesses the semi-basement and all upper floors to the servants quarters in the attic. Rising up the house the complexity of decoration and mouldings diminishes with the relative social significance.
The entrance hall opens into a vestibule with elaborate plaster cornices. The inner doors are glazed with a decorative etched glass border - with coloured glass overlight above. The hall is divided by an archway. The outer hallway has elaborate plaster cornices and ceiling rose. The inner hall contains the main staircase, in mahogany, with round handrail, slender turned balusters and scrolled applique to the risers, terminating in a horizontal whorl newel.
The staircase curves to the first floor, with a pair of tall arched niches.
The buildings were requisitioned for use by high-ranking German soldiers during the Ococupation
Notes and references
- ↑ References are found to the properties with this spelling, which is an error