Herivel family page
The origins of this surname have so far eluded us
The 1612 St Helier record of the marriage of Marie Herivel and Philippe Langlois
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
No information has been found on the derivation of the name, which is thought to be of French origin but not found in our normal sources of French surname background. The name almost certainly has a Germanic origin, with the 'Heri-' part coming from the old word for 'armed'.
The Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550 includes Geregorie, Gregorye and Nicholas Herivel
The Herivel family is found in both Guernsey and Alderney
The following records predate the earliest surviving baptism records for Herivels, which start in St Peter in 1652 and St Ouen the following year.
- Richard Herivel was born in Alderney about 1598 and married Marie Bot. They had a daughter Marie in 1636
- Georgette Herivel was born in St Ouen, Jersey in 1639 and married Jean Jean abt 1659 St Ouen, Jersey.
- Catherine Herivel was born in St Ouen and married Robert Granard. Catherine died April 1704 in St Ouen.
- Jeanne Herivel was born in St Ouen and married Elie Hamon 29 June 1642 in St Ouen. Jeanne died November 1690, in St Ouen.
There appears to be no mention of the Herivel name in Jersey from the early 1700s until 1807 when Jean Herivel (b 1782 Alderney) married Elizabeth de Gruchy, Trinity Jersey (see family tree below).
- Herival, 1515
- Harivel, 1528
Great War service
- John Herivel (1858- ) (St H) son of Peter and Ann, Mercantile Marine
- Philip Herivel (1865- ) Mercantile Marine
- Philip George Herivel (1876- ) (St C) son of Philip and Elizabeth, Chief Stoker RN, HMS Neptune
These wills created by members of the Herivel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Elizabeth Hérivel of Trinity now of St Clement, widow of George Thomas Le Masurier - 31 March 1897, D/Y/A/56
- Georgette Herivel, widow of Philippe Vibert, son of Philippe 22 October 1737 - D/Y/A/6
- Lydia Herivel, 28 Lynn Road, Buckland, Portsmouth, Hampshire - 13 February 1934, D/Y/A/95
- Philippe Herivel, Samares, St Clement - 13 August 1928, D/Y/A/88
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs