Horman family page
This surname has been present in Jersey for over 800 years, but it is now known whether it came from Normandy or England
A Rev Horman photographed by Ernest Baudoux
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
We had previously failed to find any information on the origins of this name, but have now succeeded. Despite suggestions that this is a Jewish name, it seems that it was present in France before the Norman Conquest as Herman, and may have changed to Horman when some family members crossed to England.
It is derived from the old French hermant, meaning a warrior.
Horman was first recorded in Jersey in about 1180. It is not known whether the original Hormans came to Jersey from Normandy or England.
The Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550 contains Jaques, Sire Jehan, Johan, Drouet, Nicholas and Piers Horman or Hormen.
Philippe Horman was born in St Saviour, Jersey about 1485 (see tree below), and baptisms first appeared in the St Saviour register in 1540.
- Horman, c1180
- Hormen 1461-78
- Hourman 1392
- dictus Horman, 1306
- Herman 1299
- Hurman 1274
- Hormant 1264
- Descendants of Philippe Horman (1485)
- Descendants of Amice Horman
- Descendants of Michel Horman Added 2016
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Horman family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Abraham Horman 30 October 1752 - D/Y/A/8
- Ann Horman, St Helier, widow of John Edmund Nugent 26 September 1905 6 April 1906- 22 August 1907, D/Y/A/66
- Daniel Horman of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £1 sterling: half for the poor at the General Hospital and half for the poor 11 April 1795 - D/Y/A/15
- Eleonora Horman of Grouville - 17 February 1896, D/Y/A/55
- Elizabeth Horman née Nicholson, 95 Campbell Terrace, St Helier - 6 March 1909, D/Y/A/68
- Elizabeth Horman of Grouville, now of St Saviour, bequeaths to the poor of the Wesleyan Chapel of Grove Place £4 - 3 January 1891, D/Y/A/50
- Elizabeth Horman, Colomberie, St Helier - 6 August 1912, D/Y/A/71
- Esther Horman, Grouville, now of St Helier Dated 5 December 1878, bequeaths to the poor of the parish in which she dies 5s - 3 April 1895, D/Y/A/54
- George Horman 28 April 1748 - D/Y/A/8
- George Horman, Advocat and General of the Queen, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier £10 - 3 June 1879, D/Y/A/40
- James Horman, Mariner 6 February 1762 - D/Y/A/10
- John Horman, Roslyn, St St Helier, bequeaths to Edgar James Horman Roslyn - 6 October 1936, D/Y/A/99
- Maria Horman of Jersey, now of Barrio de La Cruz, Salcidos - 15 May 1890, D/Y/A/49
- Maria Horman, wife of Tom Josué Martin of St Brelade - 11 October 1884, D/Y/A/44
- Marie Horman, widow of Abraham Rommeril 5 May 1733 - D/Y/A/6
- Nicolas Horman 25 June 1765 - D/Y/A/11
- Philippe Horman, St Helier - 29 October 1904, D/Y/A/63
- Phillippe Horman, son of Phillippe 18 February 1720 - D/Y/A/5
- Rachel Horman of Grouville, bequeaths to the Home for Aged and Infirm Women £2 - 4 January 1900, D/Y/A/59
Family photograph album
Annie Horman (1866-1953), born St Helier, died Salt Lake City
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs