La Chesnaie, St Lawrence
The former spelling of the name of this St John house was La Chênée. It was a working farm, owned by the Luce family since about 1500.
Two date stones from 17th C:
- 1688 Jean Luce and Suzanne Le Brocq and their eldest son Francois and Esther Le Couteur, who were married in 1688
- 1695 IL SLB Jean Luce and Suzanne Le Brocq
Although it is believed that the Luce family were established on the property as early as 1500, the likely date for the current house is 1688.
After nearly 500 years of ownership by one family it was sold in 1961, following the death of John Luce the year before. The new owners undertook great alterations, removing the third storey, which other features suggest may have been original, which would have been very unusual in a house of this vintage.