Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- La Petite Genee
- La Genee Cottage
- Rectory View
- Rectory View Cottage
- The Wing
Rue des Landes, St John
Type of property
Group of historic buildings
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- 17 TLMT ♥ SCL 13 - For Thomas Le Mottee and Susanne Caillet
Historic Environment Record entry
A group of buildings of early origin. The five-bay house retains its proportions and historic stonework and character.
The farm buildings, wellhead and pigsties and La Genee Cottage all form a cohesive group which contributes to the rural roadside setting. Farmhouse and cottage are shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. La Genee probably early 18th century. La Genee Cottage circa 16th century, with adjacent ruins of a medieval building.
Previously known as Rectory View and Rectory View Cottage.
La Genee: H-plan, 2 storey, 5 bay house with wings projecting to east and west. Detached to south east is La Petite Genee: 2 storey, 2-bay cottage. Well and pigsties sit to the south of the house.
Old Jersey Houses
HER refers to a record of a sale of land in 1539. La Petite Genee is listed in an addendum in a later edition of Volume 1
Notes and references
- ↑ There is confusion over this stone. It is shown by HER as TMT, and attributed to Thomas Le Montais and Susanne Collas. The datestone register gives TLMT and attributes the stone either to Thomas Le Montais or Le Mottee, and Susanne Collas. We have found no corresponding marriage record to match these attributions. However, there is a baptism record in St John in 1715 for Susanne Le Mottee, daughter of Thomas and Susanne, nee Caillet, who are an obvious match for the stone as shown by the datestone register. We have not been able to place this family in any of our Le Mottee/Le Mottais trees