If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rue de La Retraite
Type of property
18th century farmhouse with later outbuildings
There have been various transactions involving land attached to the property in recent years, but none involving the house
Families associated with the property
- Le Quesne: In 1941 Herbert Gibaut Le Quesne (1911- ) and his wife Doreen, nee Le Bas (1914- ) were living here. In 1944 Mr Le Quesne was required to sell a crop of 2,000 tobacco plants to the German forces
- Nicolle: The house was occupied in 1836 by a Mr Nicolle, probably the C Nicolle who appears on the Godfray map and in the 1841 Census as Clement Nicolle, of Retreat House, Vgt des Pigneaux, born in 1793
- 17 IF ♥♥ MPC 57 for Jean Fiot and Marie Perchard
Historic Environment Record entry
Mid-18th century farmhouse with mid-late 19th century outbuildings, associated garden and yards. Retains historic character and many original features. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The farmhouse is constructed in the characteristic 18th century Jersey vernacular with Georgian symmetry. It faces south and is five-bay, two-storey with attic. The south front is of coursed granite with fine granite dressings and quoins, and a datestone above the central doorway The front door is of a split panelled leaf 'coffin door' pattern with glazed overlight. There are original 12-pane wood sash windows.
The front has been raised when the 19th century slate roof with its pair of small cambered dormers was added.
The rear roof slope has been adjusted to accommodate a mid-late 19th century extension; constructed of mixed rubble stone with brick dressings from Copp's brickworks at Five Oaks and granite quoins (perhaps re-used from earlier structure). There is a pair of tall brick chimneystacks.
The ground floor windows were enlarged to picture windows in the 1960s.
Integral to the character and interest of the farmstead is a collection of mid-late 19th century outbuildings to the east of the farmhouse (separated from its front garden by a tall granite wall). The outbuildings are constructed of mixed rubble stonework with brick dressings and slate roofs. The principal outbuilding is a long wo-storey range with the former cider press room, stables and storage lofts. The range has shuttered openings, loading doors and casement windows.
The building which formerly housed a cartshed and bakehouse is two-storey with an eclectic range of window openings and fittings. Other structures include a single-storey kitchen wing (which retains original walls), a pigsty and liquid manure tank.
The house was damaged by fire sometime in the early-mid 19th century and the interior reflects the resultant remodelling at that period. The interior was also updated in the 1930s, resulting in the loss of 19th century fireplaces.
Features of interest are: the wide central entrance hall with mahogany stick baluster staircase housed within the 19th century rear extension; six-panel doorcases on the ground floor and first floor, and simple plank doors in the attic; an original wood fireplace in first floor bedroom.
The former cider press room and stables have 19th century internal structural joinery and some interior features of note, such as a Victorian ventilation system in the loft above the stables, and original stable flooring. Other interior fittings such as the cider press have been removed. The rooms at the northern end of this range have largely been modernised.
Old Jersey Houses
There is an article in Volume One relating to La Retraite, St Saviour, but it does not appear to be the same property as that recorded by HER and detailed above. The article refers to three datestones, which are also listed in the Datestone Register, which refers to the property to which they are attached as La Retraite, St Saviour, whereas the property featured here with the datestone shown above is referred to as La Retraite, Rue de La Retraite. There is another La Retraite at Bagot in St Saviour, but that also does not appear to be the one referred to in the book.