If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Les Pigneaux Farm
La Chaumiere (No 3)
Prince's Tower Road, St Saviour
Type of property
16th century farm, now divided into separate units
- La Chaumiere, 3 Les Pigneaux Farm, sold for £150,300 in 2011 
Families associated with the property
- Pinel 
- Bredonchel: Albert Bredonchel (1887- ), his wife Ann Marie, nee Cadiou (1892- ) and their children, twins Raymond and Joseph Victoire (1926- ) and Albert and Barbara, were living here in 1941
- HAPDD 16 EMR ♥ MAB 78 - For Etienne Mourant and Marie Aubin  The grandparents of the author, the Rev Philip Mourant, born here in 1700 and died in England in 1770. His great-niece married George Collas, brother of Constable Philippe Collas, of St Martin, and the house then passed to the Collas family
- 17 GCL ♥♥ EVP 99 - For George Collas and Elizabeth Valpy. After about 1850 the Collas line ended and the house was sold to a Mr Lempriere, whose descendants were still living here in 1965. The 1901 census showed Abraham Lempriere (1839- ) and his wife Elizabeth, nee Mourant (1852- ) living here with daughters Ada Elizabeth (1878- ) and Elvina Louisa (1880- ) and son Sydney Mourant (1893- )
Historic Environment Record entry
The farmhouse is a good example and rare survival of a traditional Jersey house, possibly of late 16th century origin. Birthplace of Philip Mourant who republished Falle's An account of Jersey in 1734.
Three-bay, two-storey farmhouse with wing to the north.
First floor window surrounds chamfered with one upright and one small block on the sides. Centre one extended to create a door and small balcony. Ground floor window to the west has a single chamfered stone on each side, the other one has chamfered lintel and sill, chamfered uprights extended by one stone.
Early example of Jersey farm cottage, circa 1600s. Detached, three-bay, single-storey cottage.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Old Jersey Houses
A substantial article in Vol One refers to the windows mentioned above and then discusses the datestones at some length, speculating about the involvement of scholars at the nearby St Mannelier's School.
The author also gives more architectural details:
- "In the old house are three fireplaces, including a fine one with rope moulding on the corbels, and the lintel lying right across, and not dovetailed in. The left upright is in two pieces, and the right one in one piece, a most unusual variation. Much internal woodwork is retained, including doors, panelling and beams. Some of the beams are untouched tree trunks, and the main beam of the living room is forked, so that the two prongs enter the wall. At the foot of the stairs is a paute or pouchette, a hiding place in the wall where valuables were kept. These are rare, or perhaps they have remained secret.
- "The present owner believes that there was a previous house slightly to the south-weat, and another, yet older, to the south, near Rue du Paradis, where there is now a mound, which was formed when his grandfather had earth carted there to cover over the rubble and stones, which interrupted ploughing."
Notes and references
- ↑ Unlikely to have been an open market transaction
- ↑ OJH reveals that the name comes from the plural form of Pinel, but should be spelt Pineaulx
- ↑ First set of initials believed to represent hoc amoris pignus dono dedit, meaning 'he gave this pledge of love as a gift'. The third set of initials is wrongly shown as MAR by HER