Midvale Road

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


JerseyHeritagelogo.png


What's your town's story?

- Midvale Road


Julie15PortlandHotel.jpg
Portland Hotel


This article is based on material produced for the Jersey Archive ‘What’s your Story?’ series


The congregation leaves St Columba's Church of Scotland

Midvale Road in St Helier is home to a number of buildings that bear, or used to bear, the name Portland. These include Portland Lodge, Portland Terrace, Portland Place, Portland House, Portland Villa and at one stage the Portland Hotel.

London

One possible explanation for the use of this name is that inspiration was taken from the famous late 18th century terrace of houses Portland Place in Marylebone, London – best known today as the location of BBC Broadcasting House.

London’s Portland Place was designed by Robert and James Adam for the Duke of Portland during the 1770s and consisted of an unusually wide road lined by palatial Georgian terraced houses. It was described in an 1815 publication as “the most spacious and regular street in the British metropolis, and one of the most magnificent in the world”.

Portland Place in Midvale Road came into being some 60 years or so after its London namesake. Property contracts from between June 1833 and 1835 show Edouard Nicolle of Midvale House selling various parcels of land and gardens to, among others, the Reverend Cornelius Traveller. It is clear that properties were expected to be constructed on this land as one contract specifically stipulates that if there were houses erected on the site, no auberge or inn was permitted in them.

The Rev Cornelius Traveller

Mr Traveller appears to have led an interesting life from the limited records available about him. Born in 1792, he was baptised just around the corner from Portland Place in Marylebone, perhaps the connection to this area that he carried through to his time in Jersey.

He was ordained as a missionary by the London Missionary Society in 1817 and while preaching at the Missionary Seminary at Gosport on the Isle of Wight, he met and married Elizabeth Donaldson, in August 1818. Shortly afterwards, the couple travelled to Madras, now Chennai, in India as missionaries where they remained for a decade.

Mr Traveller was involved in the building of a chapel at Purasawalkam, and Elizabeth advertised in the Government Gazette of India that she ran a Seminary for Young Ladies alongside the church. By 1829, the couple had left India to return to Britain, and in 1831 they were in Jersey, having their own daughter Cornelia, baptised in Zion Chapel, Union Street, in what was a dissenting, or Independent Chapel.

Portland Hotel in 1991

What exactly brought them to Jersey is not clear, but while in the Island, Mr Traveller was involved in the Independent Church as a practicing minister and his signature appears in Baptism registers for the christening of several children.

Property development

He also had an interest in property development. After purchasing the land in Midvale Road in the early 1830s, records show that he was involved in further transactions towards the end of the decade. From 1838 onwards, he sold newly-built properties in a terrace of houses known as Portland Place, as well as Portland Lodge, on the corner opposite where St Columba’s Church now stands.

He was also responsible for the distinctive building, known as Egyptian Lodge, on the corner of Midvale Road and Val Plaisant, and another property called Coromondel Lodge in Clarendon Road.

Portland Terrace

From September 1838 onwards, however, his wife Elizabeth was representing him in these property transactions as they passed through Court, indicating that he was perhaps no longer in the Island. The 1841 census confirms that Elizabeth was indeed alone in Jersey, living at another of the couple’s properties, Midvale Lodge, with two children, Cornelius junior and Emily, but no sign of her husband. The following year, she sold this house on his behalf and departed for India.

In 1851, newspapers reported that Cornelius Traveller was put on trial for insolvency in India and his testimony confirms that he had returned there in 1838, having lost his money by ‘building speculations’ – it’s likely this refers to the many properties in Midvale Road and the surrounding area that he had been involved in during the mid-1830s.

Whatever the circumstances of their early development, some of the first residents of Portland Place from the 1841 census give a sense of how these buildings had been designed to appeal to, and house, wealthy incoming residents, as well as prominent Jersey families; the occupants of this grand row of houses that year were several retired army officers, a merchant shipowner, master builder and the then Bailiff of Jersey, Sir Jean De Veulle.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs