Nicolle family page
This is a surname of very long standing in Jersey, with records going back to the 14th century
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name is derived from the baptismal name Nicolas. The family has been established in Jersey and Guernsey for many centuries.
This is a large Jersey family of long standing, one branch of which has been in Jersey since the 13th century or earlier. A distinct family arrived from England in the 15th century. John Nichol was Master Warder of Mont Orgueil and Bailiff in 1494. His descendants adopted the local spelling.
The Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550 contains 11 Nicolles.
- Guillotine Nicolle was born in Jersey in 1410
- In 1331 Colin held land in Saint Martin and Saint Mary and Thomas held land in Saint Brelade;
This family has no connection with the ancient Seigneurs of Longueville, of the same name, but appears to have existed in the island from the period of the disjunction of the Channel Islands from the Duchy of Normandy.
In 1331, Colin Nicolle held two bourees of land in the Parish of Saint Martin, and one in that of Saint Mary, while Thomas Nicolle held a bouree in Saint Brelade, as appears by the Extente of that year.
The name is found, too, at a remote period in Guernsey, one of the earliest Bailiffs of that island being of this family. Hence springs the branch of Nicol of Penrose, county Cornwall, as appears by Lysons, and also by a pedigree of the Cornish section exemplified in the Harleian MSS., No. 1051.
The original branch of this house, so long settled in its ancestral Parish of Saint Martin, and co-representing most of the influential families of the island, is there represented by Edwin Henry Nicolle, eldest surviving son of the late Frederick Nicolle, surgeon; a younger branch, descended from a member of the parent stock, who settled in Grouville, and whose descendants were subsequently located for several generations in the Parish of Saint John, is represented by Lieutenant-Colonel Edward Nicolle, of Midvale, Saint Helier.
- Nicolle, 1331
- Nichole, 1402
- Nycolle de La Cornee 1477
- Nicole 1309
All our Nicolle trees have been reviewed in 2019 and, although some questionable relationships have been confirmed, and others amended, there still remains more doubt and discussion over some Nicolle trees than those of any other family. Inconsistencies undoubtedly remain to be corrected
- Descendants of Drouet Nicolle (1415-1468)
- Descendants of Guillaume Nicolle (1560)
- Descendants of Denis Nicolle (1649)
- Descendants of Edouard Nicolle and Elizabeth Baudains
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle (1518- )
- Descendants of Cott Nicolle - inaccurate generations removed and replaced in next tree
- Descendants of George Nicolle Added 2016
- Descendants of Josue Nicolle
- Descendants of Mathieu Nicolle
- Descendants of Edouard Nicolle and Jeanne Neel
- Descendants of Edouard Nicolle and Jeanne Neel - 2 A second version of this tree from a Canadian source
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle and Marie Aubin
- Descendants of Mathieu Nicolle - 2
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle and Francoise Machon
- Descendants of Jean Nicolle and Marie Bisson
- Descendants of Edmond Nicolle
- Descendants of Philippe Nicolle and Marie Horman
- Descendants of John Nichol, the separate family mentioned above, which arrived in the 15th century NEW
- Descendants of Philippe Nicolle NEW
- Descendants of Pierre Nicolle NEW
- Jean Nicolle, Bailiff of Jersey
- Hostes Nicolle, Bailiff of Jersey 1561-1564
- Jean Nicolle, Jersey Viscount
- Edmund Toulmin Nicolle
- John Whitley Nicolle, died in German camp
- Laura Nicolle, nee Beatty, and her sister Anna
- Bailiff Hoste Nichol and Longueville Manor
Société Jersiaise Library records
- Bertram records in La Société Jersiaise Library, including references to members of the Nicolle family Added 2018
- Philip and Edward Nicolle appointed to reservoir planning committee in 1848
- Edward Nicolle involved in meeting concerning reform of the States in 1848
- Philip Nicolle appointed St Helier Roads inspector in 1848
- Philip Winter Nicolle raised issue of growing number of paupers
- Frederick La Cloche Nicolle was granted 12 shillings damages by the Royal Court in a dispute over vraic in 1848
- 1920 Evening Post report of a fire at Major Nicolle's property, Thornton Hall
Great War service
- James Nicoll's petition for land in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
- Elizabeth Nicolle emigrant to Australia
As borne by the late Frederick Nicolle) : Azure, three crescents, or.
Quartering : Or, in the dexter chief a round shield, azure, charged with a knight on horseback, spear in rest, in full career, all argent, for Bandinel
Gules, three escallops in bend, argent; on a chief of the second, a martlet, sable, for Stallenge
Azure, a bend, argent, between two pelicans' heads, erased, or for Horman
Azure, three crescents, or, a mullet for difference, for Nicolle
Gules, three buckles, or, in chief, a crescent, argent, charged mth a label of three points, for difference, for Mallet
Gules, a fesse, dancette, or, in chief, two roses, argent, for Cornet
Gules, three escallops, or, a fleur-de-lis for difference, for Dumaresq
Sable, three dolphins, embowed, argent, for De Bagot
Argent, three trefoils, slipped, sable, for Payn
Gules, four fusils, conjoined in fesse, a crescent in base, for difference, for De Carteret
Ermines, a cross-bow, in pale, drawn and charged with an arrow, all argent, for Larbalestier
Or, three cherries, gules, stalked, vert, for Messervy
Or, on a chevron, vert, three hawks' heads, erased, of the field, for Crafford
Azure, a chevron between three eagles, argent; a chief, gules, fretty of the second, for Gaudin
Argent, a double-headed eagle, displayed, wings inverted, sable, armed, gules, a mullet for difference, for Collas
Impaling : Argent, a beehive, surrounded with bees, all ppr, for Beatty.
Crest : A falcon, belled, rising, ppr.
Motto: Essorant victorieux
- La Biarderie, Trinity
- La Fontaine, Ville a l'Eveque, Trinity
- Ville à l'Eveque, Trinity
- Le Boulivot, Grouville
- Herupe, St John
- Nicolle and Company in Newfoundland
- Jersey merchants at Burgeo, Another article concerning Nicolle and Company
- John Nicolle was a hatter at 12 King Street in the 1830s and '40s
- Charles Nicolle was a grocer at 44 King Street in the 1830s
- Francis Nicolle was a draper at 54 King Street in the 1850s
- Philip Nicolle and his son Philip were drapers at 5 Halkett Place in the 1840s and '50s
- Josephine Nicolle was in business as a milliner at 10 Halkett Place in the 1880s
- Draper Philippe Nicolle was in business at 11 Halkett Place in the 1860s
- Jeanne Nicolle ran a millinery business at 40 Halkett Place in the 1840s, together with her two daughters and a staff of 12
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Reginald Sidney Nicolle (24) of St Lawrence was convicted of robbery by the Royal Court in 1913 and sentenced to 12 months prison with hard labour
The 1911 wedding of William Benest and Mary Nicolle. The picture was taken at China Quarry Farm, St Lawrence
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Reginald Sydney Nicolle Canadian Cemetery No 2 Neuville St Vaast
The grave of Great War casualty Wilfred Hilary Nicolle at Athies Communal Cemetery Extension, Pas de Calais
The grave of Great War casualty Clarence Durell Nicolle at at Delsaux Farm Cemetery, Beugny
The grave of Great War casualty James Frederick Nicolle at Almorah Cemetery, St Helier