17 King Street
No 17 King Street, which is 2010 was developed together with the adjoining No 15 to create a new building for Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, has on a number of occasions been shown as 'unoccupied' in census returns. This does not necessarily mean that the premises were empty, but just that nobody was resident above the shop.
This shop was home to Augustus Le Fortier, watchmaker and silversmith, in 1834. He moved to No 7 King Street three years later, and then to Halkett Place in about 1845.
He was followed by shoe maker Elias Bree, shown in a 1837 commercial directory. The 1841 census shows Elias (35) in residence. He was either Elie Son of Elie and Anne Starck, of St Martin, or Elie son of George and Sara Messervy, also of St Martin.
In 1851 German jeweller Samuel Simon, a naturalised British subject, was living at No 17 with his wife Sarah, nee Jewell (1819-1888), from England, and three young daughters and a son, all born in St Helier. They also had two servants living in. Samuel moved to 15 Queen Street by 1861 and then 3 New Cut by 1871. He and Sarah eventually had ten children, Mariann (1843- ), Amelia (1845-1909), Samuel (1846-1849), Moses (1848- ), who emigrated to Milwaukee and married Matilda Schwager, Esther (1850- ), Adelaide Eleanore (1852- ), Raphael (1855- ), Simeon (1857- ), Rachael (1859- ) and another Samuel (1862-1943).
There was a change of trade in 1861, with boot and shoemaker Peter Garnier occupying No 17 with his wife Rachel and their niece Mary Rachel Hooper. It is not clear how long he was in business there, but by 1880 Henry V Coutanche was operating his drapery business. There are many family records in Jersey for Henry Coutanche but we are almost certain that this one was the Coutanche baptised in St John in 1838 as Henry, son of Henry and Jeanne Vincent. Henry Snr was born in St John and Jeanne in St Peter, and they were married in St Helier in October 1837.
Henry Coutanche was at No 17 until at least 1920, and the next occupant is shown as ladies outfitter Charles Marett in 1930. His business closed at the beginning of the German Occupaton and the next occupant of No 17 is shown as Fullams, in 1949 and 1950. The premises were occupied from 1960 by photographic dealer Richard Whinnerah, followed in 1970 by Bon Chocolat, 1980 by Marce Jacques shoes and 1990 by Rowley's
The rebuilding for HSBC meant that the pedestrian passage from King Street to Vine Street between Nos 15 and 17 disappeared.
- 1834 - Augustus Le Fortier, watchmaker and silversmith
- 1837 - Elias Bree, shoemaker
- 1851 - Samuel Simon, jeweller
- 1861 - Peter Garnier, boot and shoemaker
- 1871 - Not listed in census
- 1880-1919 - Henry V Coutanche, draper
- 1930-1940 - Charles Marett, Ladies outfitter
- 1945 - Not listed
- 1949 - Fullams
- 1955-1965 - Richard Whinnerah, photographic dealer
- 1970 - Bon Chocolat
- 1980 - Marcel Jacques shoes
- 1990-2000 - Rowley's
- 2010 - Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank