47 King Street
The first recorded occupant of No 47 was builder W W Elliott, but whether he just lived there, or conducted a business there, is not known.
An 1837 commercial directory identifies an Elliott, perhaps his wife, as a stay maker here, but perhaps she worked from the upper floor because the same directory shows that the occupant was baker and confectioner P Noel; and J Madden is also listed as a grocer and tea dealer in the same directory.
In 1851 Guernsey chemist Eugene Arnold (29) was established in business at No 47 and lived there with his St Brelade-born wife Elizabeth, son Eugene and a servant. The couple would go on to have nine more children in the years to 1867.
By the 1861 census, with twins Julia Mary and Jessie Louisa just five months old, they had moved their family and business to nearby 30 Halkett Place. At No 47, James Guille, a linen draper, was then living with his wife Sophia, nee Hamon. They would remain there until the early 1880s. James, the son of Robert Guille, of Guernsey, and Nancy Grigry, and Sophia do not appear to have had any children. In 1871, Sophia's 82-year-old mother Esther was living with them.
The Guille family was followed in 1885 by hosier William Henry Saunders, who was at the premises for nearly 20 years, followed from 1912 to at least 1920 by furniture dealer George Fox.
The history of the property from then until 1930, when it was home to the Edinburgh Cafe, is uncertain. From the start of the Occupation until 1970 the occupants were Burtol Cleaners, followed in more recent times by clothing, sports goods and health product shops.
- 1833 - W W Elliott, builder
- 1837 - P Noel, baker and confectioner
- 1837 - J Madden, grocer
- 1851 - Eugene Arnold, chemist
- 1861 - James Guille, linen draper
- 1885-1903 - William Henry Saunders, hosier
- 1912-1920 - George Fox, furniture dealer
- 1930 - Edinburgh Cafe
- 1940-1970 - Burtol Cleaners
- 1980-1990 - Tramps fashion
- 2000 - The Athlete
- 2010 - Healthspan