No 49 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


49 King Street


1942, and No 49 is two shops beyond Maison Kerdal in the centre of the picture

The street decorated for the Coronation in 1937, The Le Poidevin sign on No 49 can just be seen at the top left

The building

Historic Environment Record: This building contributes to the character of this block of King Street with its well-detailed Victorian articulation and decorative features, with many historic features remaining. Retains 18th century cellars. Three-storey, with attic, two-bay. Slate mansard roof with box dormer behind parapet. Brick chimney on west gable. Walls are boldly rusticated render, framed by projecting moulded cornice and pilasters at gables; moulded string course between floors.


These premises are shown as unoccupied in the 1851, '61 and '71 censuses. Whether nobody was living there is uncertain. The first recorded occupants are various members of the Norman family. C Norman is shown as a draper in a 1866 advert. Charles is shown as a tailor in 1874, 1880 and 1885 almanac entries, but the 1881 census shows the occupant to be draper James, who employed 20 people. James (1834- ) lived there with his wife Elizabeth (1835- ) and her sister Elizabeth Nicholson (1849- ). He was baptised in St Martin, the son of Jean, of Guernsey, and Esther Ballieul, who married in St Helier in 1826.

For a short time the occupant is shown as draper E Norman, but by 1891 he has been replaced by another draper William George Barnes (1849- ), from London, living with his Jersey-born wife Emily, nee Benest (1853- ), daughters Nellie (1878- ), Edith (1881- ), Hilda (1882- ), Elsie (1884- ) and Alice (1887- ), and sons Francis (1887- ), Bernard (1887- ) and Raymond (1889- ). By 1901 daughter Clarice (1892- ) has also joined the family. Mr Barnes was previously in business in Bath Street.

The Barnes family was followed by James Le Poidevin, who moved along the street from No 43 in 1912, and whose family remained there trading as Au Gagne Petit and then Le Poidevins, for 75 years.

James (1863- ) came to Jersey from Guernsey. He was the son of Frederick John Le Poidevin (1829-1901) and Elizabeth Stonelake (1830-1914), one of seven of their children. He married Laura Jane de Faye (1863- ), and they had children James de Faye (1896-1956), who continued the business, and Jeanne (1898- )

In more recent times the premises have been occupied by English chain shops Jaeger, Viyella, All in Black and East.

Chronology [1]

  • 1866-1885 - Charles and J Norman, tailors and drapers
  • 1886 - Norman and Co, drapers
  • 1890 - E Norman, draper
  • 1891 - William Barnes, draper
  • 1900-1903 - William George Barnes
  • 1912-1987 - James H Le Poidevin, trading as Au Gagne Petit and then Le Poidevins
  • 1988-1998 - Jaeger
  • 2000 - Viyella
  • 2005 - All In Black
  • 2010 - East

Notes and references

  1. Many of the start and end dates given for businesses are approximate. As more business advertisements and other records are discovered the dates will be adjusted
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs