No 56 King Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


W16StreetLamp.png


56 King Street


250p


While her husband ran the family drapery business further down the street, Mrs Elizabeth Metivier was running a stationer's and library at 56 King Street in 1857


A photograph taken in the first decade of the 20th century showing No 56 in the left foreground, occupied by tobacconist John Malzard, with Brooks and Pinching stationers beyond

Early occupants

In 1837 draper C Le Gros was trading at No 56 and at the 1841 census it was occupied by draper John Le Gros (1791- ) and his wife Ann, nee Clement (1796- ). Jean was the son of Edouard Le Gros (1765- ) and Sara Gallichan, both of St Lawrence. If the commercial directory listing of C Le Gros is correct, there is no obvious connection with Jean, but the earlier reference may be an error

They were followed by the 1851 census by another draper, widow Jane (Jeanne) Le Feuvre (1801- ), who employed ten staff and lived with her children John (Jean) (1831- ), Charles (1838- ) and Sophie (1835- ).

Although the census return states that Jeanne was born in St Saviour in 1798, we believe that it is more likely that she was born three years later, the daughter of Jacques Perchard and Jeanne Valpy. The census is also inaccurate in relation to the parishes of birth of the children. It says that all three were born in St Helier, but John and Sophie were baptised in St Saviour, where George Jean Le Feuvre, Jeanne's husband, was also born.

The couple had another four children, George (1829- ), Francois Jean (1833- ), Jane (1837-1837) and Thomas (1841- )

Books and stationery

In 1857, while her husband ran the family drapery business further down the street, Mrs Elizabeth Metivier was running a stationer's and library at 56 King Street.

In 1861 the census records William Slater (1930- ) a bookseller and stationer employing three people at No 56. He lived with his wife Caroline (1823- ), widowed sister Elizabeth Davies (1824- ), her daughter Eliza (1848- ) and a nephew, William Slater (1857- ). Mrs Slater was later shown as running the business, before moving to Halkett Place.

As well as dealing in books and stationery, William and Caroline Slater also took photographs, many of them surviving today as some of the earliest views of outdoor Jersey.

In 1871 the occupants of No 56 were baker John Fearon (1800- ), from Ireland, his dressmaker wife Theresa, nee Wyatt, (1809- ), born in St Helier, and their 18-year-old son Mannaseh. Mannaseh does not appear in the St Helier baptism register, which does show John and Theresa, who married in St Helier in 1831, having seven other children: William Henry (1832- ), Theresa Ellen (1834- ), William Henry (1836- ), Alfred Sloane (1837- ), John (1839- ), Theodore (1845- ) and Stuart Fenelon (1847- ). Theresa Wyatt was the daughter of Henry and Mary, and had siblings Mary, Elizabeth Mary Ann, Amelia and Sarah.

Also shown as living at No 56 in a separate household was Laundress Ann Ellis, but it is assumed that it was John Fearon, if anyone, who was in business there.

Tobacconists

The 1881 census shows four households at No 56, not counting a house behind the premises, but based on an almanac entry for 1880 we believe that Frederick Goodread was carrying out his business of hairdresser and tobacconist there.

He was followed by 1885 by tobacconist William Hodgetts (1854- ), from England, described in the 1891 census as a tobacco manufacturer. He was living at No 56, which had an ever increasing number of families living in cottages behind, with his Jersey-born wife Matilda, nee Aubin (1854- ), children Philip Mallet (1880- ), Percy (1882- ), George Mallet (1884- ), Ada Helen (1888- ) and Edith Maud (1890- ).

William was followed at No 56 by another tobacco manufacturer, Jerseyman John Abraham Malzard (1866- ), his wife Rosina Mary, nee Twynam, (1866- ), mother-in-law Mary, daughters Rose (1888- ) and Olive (1898- ) and son John (1892- ). By 1911 the Malzards were living in a large property in Rouge Bouillon, although the business in King Street continued.

The next record of a business there is in 1930, when umbrella manufacturer W Gee was trading.

By 1940 Briggs and Co had spread to No 56, ten years after opening at No 54.

In the 1970s both properties were demolished and rebuilt for Maison Le Riche, which ultimately became Marks and Spencer.

Chronology

  • 1837 - C Le Gros, draper
  • 1841 - John Le Gros, draper
  • 1851 - Jeanne Le Feuvre, draper
  • 1857 - Mrs Elizabeth Metivier, library and stationer
  • 1861 - William Slater, bookseller and stationer
  • 1871 - John Fearon, baker
  • 1880-81 - Frederick Goodread, hairdresser and tobacconist
  • 1885-95+ - William Hodgetts, tobacconist
  • 1900-1912 - John Malzard, tobacconist
  • 1919 - F Reed, W Le Cocq, Mrs Buhot
  • 1930 - W Gee, umbrella manufacturer
  • 1940-1970 - Briggs and Co
  • 1980-1990 - Maison Le Riche
  • 2000- Marks and Spencer
1970s demolition, and Briggs at No 56 would be next
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs