62 King Street
No 62 King Street's main claim to fame is that it was the location of the Hotel du Palais de Cristal, a French-run establishment which dominated the western end of the street in the first three decades of the 20th century.
But the earliest commercial records show that this was where a drapery business was founded by James Temple Metivier. The Metivier family gave their name to the narrow lane which still separates Nos 62 and 60, and in the second half of the 19th century was much wider, and lined on both sides by cottages which housed dozens of working class families.
By 1861 the business was concentrated at No 60 and George Boielle was in business at No 62. George was a fancy toy dealer and lay reader. He was the father of Edward Clarence Boielle, whose wife Jane Greenaway Boielle, nee Le Masurier, was in business at No 66 King Street in the first decade of the 20th century.
No 62 is not listed in the 1881 census but by 1885 the Cafe Parisien and Hotel du Palais de Cristal, run first by Henri Louis Menou and his wife Olympe, then by Henri Richer and later by Jules Parison.
By 1927 the business had been renamed Bodega Charles, and after a spell as Hotel Melbourne, it reverted to Charlie's Bodega. In more recent times, from the 1960s through the '80s, the business at No 62 was known as James Walker, 'the shop under the clock'. It was then taken over by jewellers H Samuel, before being redeveloped in the 1990s for Boots the Chemist.
- 1834 - Metivier and Co
- 1851 - James Temple Metivier, draper
- 1861-1864 - George Boielle
- 1880 - John E Mahling, draper
- 1881 - Not listed in Census
- 1885-1890 - Cafe Parisien, H and A Richer
- 1900-1919 - Hotel du Palais de Cristal
- 1927 - Bodega Charles, public house
- 1930-1940 - Hotel Melbourne
- 1939- Charlie's Bodega
- 1949 - H F Stevens Ltd, W G Nixey, Jomen Ltd
- 1949-1955 - Jersey House
- 1960-1980 - James Walker
- 1990 - H Samuel, jewellers
- 2000 - Boots