No 9-13 Library Place

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

9-13 Library Place, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Library Place viewed from Broad Street in the 1970s. Nos 11 and 13 are on the right of the street behind the car

Property name

9-13 Library Place

Other names

Barclays Bank


Library Place, St Helier

Type of property

1930 bank building with 1960s extension


  • Sold for £6 million in 2009 and £4.8 million in 2018

Families associated with the property

  • De Ste Croix: One of the longest lived and most successful auctioneer and estate agency businesses in Jersey during the 19th century was Victoria Auction House at No 9. The business was founded by Philippe de Ste Croix before 1837 and he ran it until his death in 1873, when his son Charles took over. A second son, Philippe jnr, is shown running the separated estate agency business next door at No 11, and when J G Pallot took over the business from Charles, Victoria Auction Mart was operating at No 7.

Census returns

  • 1841: 9, Philip de Ste Croix - auctioneer; 13, Theodore Fontaine – merchant
  • 1861: 9, Philip de Ste Croix (58, widow) auctioneer and general agent. Brother George (43) cabinet maker; 11, Philip de Ste Croix (28) house agent and dealer in china and glass; 13, Thomas Curry (44) tailor and draper, wife Susan, nee Le Geyt, and four children [1]
  • 1871-1881: 9, Philip de Ste Croix (68) auctioneer, son Charles (34) wine merchant; 11, Philip de Ste Croix (38) wine merchant, wife Susanna and four children
  • 1891: 11, John Richard Payn (41) discharging barges
  • 1901: 11, Mary Le Gros (57) widowed dressmaker

Almanac listings

  • 1834: 9, Ollivier, silversmith and watchmaker; 11, J Jouault, brazier and tin plate worker
  • 1874: 9, De Ste Croix, auctioneer; 11, De Ste Croix brothers, wine merchants; 13, T P Curry, tailor
  • 1880-1886: 9, Philip De Ste Croix, auctioneer; 11, E Tuck, electro plater; 13, T P Curry, tailor
  • 1890-1905: 9, Philip De Ste Croix, furniture dealer; 13, T P Curry, tailor
  • 1910-1920: 9, St Helier churchwardens, P de Ste Croix; 11, Typewriter Company; 13, T P Curry and Son, tailor
  • 1925-1940: 9, W de Ste Croix; 11 Typewriter Company; 13 Barclays Bank
  • 1950-1960: 9, Channel Island Agencies; 13, Barclay’s Bank
  • 1955- : 9-13 Barclays Bank

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A 1930 building with a classical frontage that retains external character and forms a good group with several other historic bank buildings. The extension is a good example of a 1960s commercial building, being of contrast to the existing, and with a use of materials and detailing of sophisticated design.

Three-storey, five-bay main building, circa 1930 with 1980s alterations. Extension 1965, originally St Martin's Bank. 1930s building. A classical frontage in Portland stone. The centre three bays are set back and the ground floor of the centre bays and the ground and first floor of the side bays are rusticated.

Plain stepped parapet behind a deep moulded cornice. Two plain columns and two half columns support a moulded stone cornice that runs under the windows on the central bay and forms the base for simple ironwork balconies at each of the three openings.

Notes and references

  1. Among the four children - the couple would eventually have eight - was Adolphus, who would become one of Jersey's most renowned architects
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs