Old Rectory, St Saviour

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Old Rectory, St Saviour


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org

Property name

Old Rectory


Rectory Lane, St Saviour

Type of property

Former Rectory


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

18th century house with good survival of original features and character, and evidence of earlier phases, possibly medieval. Historical association as birthplace of Lillie Langtry.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Various phases of development evident including ground floor rooms with 1830s style mouldings, first floor earlier styles in the door mouldings, hinges and doors - some of them transitional between 18th and 19th century fashions. Some wall cupboards have early wooden pegs.

A wing was probably added on the west in early 18th century; a window in the kitchen is of this period. Between 1850-1875 a study and drawing room above it added on the north with marble fireplaces and ceiling roses. Thatch replaced with tiles in 1802.

Stable block to north. Bakehouse probably from 1876. Walled garden.

Old Jersey Houses

An entry in Vol Two concentrates on the house's occupancy by Dean William Corbet Le Breton and his family, including daughter Emily Charlotte, who became Lillie Langtry

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs