Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Old School House
Rue des Alleurs, St Martin
Type of property
Former school building, converted to residential
Sold for £2,225,000 in 2009
Families associated with the property
Historic Environment Record entry
This school and associated house form an attractive group and retain their character, proportions and some historic features externally. They contribute to the rural setting in the context of this cluster of dwellings.
Of historical interest as an example of a small rural school, which opened in 1885. Celebrated artist Edmund Blampied attended as a pupil. Soon after the turn of the century the school closed and the schoolroom became a fire station. During the German Occupation the cottage was occupied by Ukrainian soldiers and the schoolroom was used for their armoured cars.
After the war the property became a working farm and the main schoolroom was used as a potato store. Converted to residential in the 1990s.
Single storey school hall to southwest with house adjoining to north. 20th century extension to east. Single storey detached outbuilding to north. Further 20th century outbuildings to north.