Rabet family page
The origins of this surname, which came to Jersey from Ploeuc-sur-Lie in Brittany are uncertain
Francois and Angelique Rabet
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name is of French origin, probably from Brittany. We have not found a reference to it, or anything spelled remotely similarly, in any of our main French sources of surname origins.
However, the Internet Surname Database has a reference to Rabbe, which with a final 'é' would be pronounced the same. This suggests that the name is derived from the same source as the personal name Robert.
- "Coming from the old German, Hrodebert, a compound of the elements "hrod", renown and "berht" bright and famous. The name is occasionally found in England before the Conquest of 1066, but in the main it was the Norman's who introduced it to England."
It is has also been suggested to us that the name is derived from rave, an old vegetable. Betterave is French for 'beetroot', and rave, which is still very much in use, is French for 'rape' - the crop. We have not found any sources which substantiate the link to Rabet.
The surname does not appear to have been seen in Jersey until around 1880. A number of members of the family arrived in the island from Ploeuc, a small town close to St Malo.
The name is still found in Jersey today.
Great War service
- Pierre Ernest Rabet (1897-1916) son of Pierre and Victorine Rabet, Private, Royal Irish Fusiliers, died in grenade accident
- Francis Rabet (1896- ) (Tr) son of Guillaume and Angelique, Private RAF
- Henry Yves Rabet (1902- ) (St S) Son of Yves Marie and Jeanne Marie Rabet, Boy RN, HMS Danae
- Louis Joseph Rabet (1899- ) (St H) son of Pierre and Victorine, Stoker RN, HMS Inconstant
- Raymond Frank Rabet (1891- ) (St H) Son of Yves Marie and Jeanne Marie Rabet, Officer's Styeward RN, HMS Iron Duke
These wills created by members of the Rabet family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Rabet : Alfred Francois , of St Clement - 09/Dec/1961 , 20/Aug/1964 , D/Y/B1/80/65
- Rabet : Aline Blanche , wife of Stanley John Benest, of 14, Quennevais Gardens, St Brelade - 06/Oct/1976 , 06/Oct/1976 , D/Y/B1/247/28
- Rabet : Angelique Marie , widow of Alfred Charles Gallichan, of St Saviour's Hospital, St Saviour and formerly of 17, The Parade, St Helier - 03/Oct/1963 , 25/Jan/1973 , D/Y/B1/185/31
- Rabet : Cyril John , of 6, Le Hurel, La Pouquelaye, St Helier and formerly of 3, Highfield Villas, La Pouquelaye, St Helier - 07/May/1947 , 07/Oct/1969 , D/Y/B1/137/15
- Rabet : Elise Marie , widow of Clarence Ernest Pinglaux, of 6, Ethelmar Villas, Route des Genets, St Brelade - 05/Nov/1975 , 05/Nov/1975 , D/Y/B1/230/35
- Rabet : Elsie Marie , nee Rimeur, wife of Yves Rabet, of Fair Oaks, St Clement - 29/Jul/1952 , 04/Mar/1961 , D/Y/B1/63/31
- Rabet : Guilleaume , La Grande Route, Augres, Trinity - 25/Jun/1924 , 28/Mar/1935 , D/Y/A/97/49
- Rabet : Jean Pierre Marie Mathurin , of St Clement - 25/Sep/1959 , 23/Apr/1960 , D/Y/B1/59/12
- Rabet : Jean Raymond , of Cortina, Pontac, St Clement - 02/Aug/1935 , 11/Jul/1945 , D/Y/A/113/147
- Rabet : John Yves , Vincent Hall, Trinity - 19/Jun/1914 , 17/Mar/1916 , D/Y/A/75/42
Pierre Rabet (42) was convicted by the Royal Court in 1914 for robbery. He was sentenced to two months prison with hard labour, followed by five years banishment to France, where he was born. His wife Victorine, nee Mettifer, was sentenced to four months with hard labour and also banished for five years
Grace Jeanne Rabet was born in St Saviour in 1927, the daughter of Henri Yves (1902-1983) and Florence Anna, nee Gallienne (1905-1936). She married Kenneth George Davey (1924-2008) in 1958
Pierre Ernest Rabet (1897-1916) killed in a grenade accident in the Great War
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Pierre Ernest Rabet at Sailly Labourse Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais