The last vessel built for the New South Western Steam Navigation Company was the Southampton. Built in 1860 by Palmer of Jarrow, she was the largest ship on the Channel Islands service. Southampton was of 460 tons (hold measure), 232 ft in length, with a 22 foot beam. She had two funnels, two schooner rigged masts, and a round stern. Her first voyage to Jersey was on 13 October 1860 and she was commanded by Captain James Goodridge with the crew of the old Courier. Southampton had three refits which altered her appearance considerably. She was lengthened in 1875 and had one funnel removed in 1880. This splendid vessel was sold to Dutch ship breakers and broken up in 1898.