The temporary wooden cenotaph erected in 1919
Jersey's Cenotaph is a memorial to islanders who lost their lives in the two World Wars of the 20th century
The cenotaph was commissioned soon after the end of the First World War to be constructed from Jersey granite by mason Charles de Gruchy. Until it could be completed a temporary wooden structure was erected in 1919 and used for the Armistice Day ceremonies for four years, before the permanent structure was unveiled in 1923 at the eastern end of Parade Gardens in St Helier.
It has remained the focus for the annual Remembrance Day celebrations when those who lost their lives in the service of the country in the two World Wars and subsequent conflicts are remembered.
The guard of honour at the unveiling ceremony in 1923
Remembrance Day ceremony in 1945 – Picture Evening Post
Former St Helier Constable Peter Baker places the WW2 Roll of Honour inside the Parade Cenotaph in 1982 - Picture Jersey Evening Post
2011 Remembrance Day ceremony
Perhaps the most important of all Remembrance parades, in 1945, months after the end of the Second World War and the German Occupation
Troops on parade for the unveiling of the new memorial in 1923
The Cenotaph ready to be unveiled